Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting >

free motion quilting

free motion quilting

Old 01-23-2007, 01:00 PM

Does anyone have the secret to free motion quilting? Many times I have no trouble doing it, but sometimes the top thread shows on the back. I have adjusted the tension and tried all the tricks I know, but I can't seem to avoid this problem. Any suggestions?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:12 PM

I have only recently been trying my hand at free motion and I don't have a for sure answer for you but in talking with other quilters, my guess is that it could be the speed? If it isn't constant along with the movement I think thats when this type of thing happens.... but I would wait for others with more experience to answer!! LOL Sorry I can't be of more help but I am sure someone will come along that can help you better! Good luck!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Dear Frustrated,
There are lots of reasons why this is becoming a prob for you. The fabric type, thread, tension, whether your machine likes it, and so on. You need to use the right thread for the job. Talk with your local quilting shop. Tell her what you want to accomplish. Go to the experts in your area. Maybe a stablizer and hoop. So many ideas. Go on some sites that you search for on the web and read their ideas on free-motion. Once you get the right combo you will be okay. It is hard for us here to advise when we do not know what you have to sew on or what your fabric is like or your thread. It is a very open question but a good one. Someone may just have the right answer and you will be on your way. Do you use an open toe foot? Good luck and keep us posted as maybe we can learn from you. GB :D
Old 01-23-2007, 02:48 PM

I use a Bernina 440E with the BSR foot, which I bought especially to fre motion quilt. I generally have thin cotton batting and either cotton or multi purpose thread. My frustration comes from the fact that sometimes it is perfect and sometimes the problem occurs with the top thread showing through. It may well be the speed of movement. I have used different needles and different threads and tension adjustment to try to find the root of the problem. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:30 PM

I found that whenI get too comfortable with the free motion I start moving faster than the machine is quilting thats when I've noticed the same problem. So I've leaned to slowed down alittle and haven't had that problem since. Hope your problem is as easy to slove
Old 01-31-2007, 01:01 PM

I know that thread, needle size and thread tension all have a lot to do with a free motion quilting success. I've just been reading Diane Gaydynski's new book "Machine Quilting Guidebook" and she specifically talks about these topics. From my experience (prior to getting the Viking Fabric Mover) that I had to have a rhythm to machine quilting: faster speed and slow motion and very slow when coming to a point where I need to think about which way to go. Best wishes. PS: Check out some of the thread websites, they're very helpful in deciding what to use for what. Search for YLI and you'll see the sites.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:58 PM

Hi I am new to quilting but when I freemotion quilt I use scraps from the quilt top, binding and backing and make a sandwich. I use it set up and make any adjustments for tention to the maching. This way I can see how it all works together. I hope this helps
Old 02-03-2007, 02:37 PM

I am right in the middle of trying this myself and am the same frustrated. Has anyone find a real solution? I also have the Bernine 440 with BSR which I thought was going to be the answer. It definitely is not and I'm very disappointed about all the money I spent. I am not sure if my profile includes my e-mail address, but if anyone is interested in telling me how they solved this problem; i.e., type of thred, weight, type of fabric, batting, etc. that contributed to it working, please e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanking anyone in advance for a reply.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:33 AM

Well, I've been trying to convince my hubby that I needed a Bernina so I could have a stitch regulator because I too thought it would solve that problem. Glad I haven't spent the money yet. I just use a Singer and when I'm going in a straight line it comes out real good, it's usually when I go sideways or circular that my tension gets off but I think it's because I move faster for some reason. I think something like cruise control on my car would help. Then I could concentrate more on moving the quilt at a steady speed. I've done a couple of twin size and it was difinetly best at the end, so I guess practice truly is the answer.
kathy
Old 02-05-2007, 06:36 AM

I agree with you Kathy...a cruise control would be the best! I did one wallhanging free motion and it turned out okay. Yesterday I started to quilt another one. and my top thread came out in big loops on the back...any idea what I did wrong? Since the last wall hanging I did not change tension just color in bobbin. Hope you have a good idea.
Thanks! Peg (I too have a singer...have for over 28 years and love mine.