Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone have good lost cat experiences to relate? >

Anyone have good lost cat experiences to relate?

Anyone have good lost cat experiences to relate?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM

SOOO ....GLAD YOU FOUND YOUR KITTY....I KNOW THE FEELING OF BEING REUNITED
Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM

On our move to the PNW from Illinois we drove with two boys, two dogs and a cat...plus a trailer with my houseplants and hubbys fish.
We stopped in Spokane and put the dogs and cats on their leashes...the cat had a figure 8 style harness, and went into the little grocery store. When we got back to the car the dogs were there but the cat was gone...his leash and halter were there but he had apparently squirmed out of it.
We checked the fields around the parking lot...there were not homes nearby but didn't find him A husband and wife saw us and asked if we had lost a dog, but we told them it was a cat, and we all had the "knowing look" but didn't say a word. We explained that we were moving to Oregon. They asked for our contact information and we exchanged information. We got to our new home later that day, which happened to be a Friday, and met the movers and got to work with the house. On Monday hubby went to work where he found a message from the couple in Sopkane...they had found Lucky..yup, that was his name...got him on a Friday the 13th when we first got married, so by this time he was about 8 years old. We drove up to Sopkane the following Saturday and got him back and I have never gotten hugged so hard by a cat in my life. He put his front paws around my neck and purred and purred and purred. He alternated between both boys on the back seat all during the trip back to Portland. It was a very, very long and wonderful day for all of us and I often think of that wonderful couple in Spokane. It's also amazing that Lucky actually went to them...he must have realized his mistake when he got back to the parking lot and we were gone......poor guy.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Try your mailman and any other delivery folks that might drive in your neighborhood. Also the local animal control officer if you have one. The more people know your cat is missing the better because more eyes will be on the ground looking on their routes.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 PM

I bought both of my furry guys to Canada from the UK. Charlie (he is a Bengal) is a real snuggle bug and very friendly. Unfortunately he is not very bright! (all beauty and no brains! The first summer he was here he got sun stroke from falling asleep in the shade and not moving when the sun moved! about 6 weeks after the sunstroke he was outside sleeping in the chair when I went to bed and was no where to be found when I woke up (we have a cat door for him to come in and out) I was beside my self with fear and really thought he was gone for good. We put posters up all around the neighbourhood and handed out flyers to everyone and offered $500 reward for any news of him. I used to go out every three hours, 6pm, 9pm, midnight, 3am, 6am, 9am etc calling him every day but no sign of him after 5 days I had really given up hope but my husband insisted on going out one more time to look for him but I refused to go and just went to bed miserable and upset while he went out. he had been gone about half an hour when the phone rang and the person said they thought Charlie was in their garage! I quickly got in the car and drove just about 20 minutes from our house and there was Charlie in their garage! Of course there were lots more tears as I realized he was safe. The people were lovely a family with two teenage boys, and I promised I would take the reward back the very next day but they insisted they would not take it as they said it was like 'returning a lost child'! I took Charlie home and the next day 'Charlie wrote them a thank you note and spent his allowance on flowers and wine as a thank you to amazing people.
I do hope your little one comes home safe and sound
Old 06-09-2011, 05:33 PM

when I moved from Wyoming to Tennessee to get married, I had to go to atlanta for a weekend and left my beautiful Pookie Bear with my fiancee to take care of, with instructions that Pookie has to be walked on a leash when he comes home from work. I had the cat since he was a kitten and walking outside on a leash was a treat he loved. My fiancee (no ex) forgot the leash and let hm out and he was gone for 8 weeks. I had flyers all over the place looking for him and we were in a huge apartment complex. I was sure he was gone forever. One day I received a call from the apartment manager asking if I found my cat. I told them no, and they advised me that there was a huge black/white cat locked up in their catering kitchen that they had been feeding for a long time and couldn't catch him becuase he could fly through the air when jumping and jump from wall to wall. I advised them they had my cat. I went over to the office, they unlocked the door, I called my cat, and he came out from under a huge cook stove and flew through the air into my arms. We went walking the next day on a leash ad he visited the office. never give up, I am sure you cat will return.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 PM

Mikey the Moocher is a neutered full grown beautiful black and white outdoors cat with marvelous manners. I feed him every day and supply water. But although Mikey isn't the brightest cat I ever met, he must be one of the nicest! HE IS A VERY COMPANIONABLE CAT. He seems to like his outdoor life! He does what you tell him to do also. I tell him "Don't come in." and he doesen't (I have quilting projects)- although he does go in other houses especially where there are kids.
Mikey is an opportunist. He checks out all the houses around the neighborhood so nobody worries about him going hungry. Recently I found a strange bowl and a plastic bag of cat food on my little entry porch....
Old 06-10-2011, 06:30 AM

"Recently I found a strange bowl and a plastic bag of cat food on my little entry porch..."

HaHa! He must be very good!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 PM

Hope this one helps...and I hope she comes home!! Several years ago we had just gotten a new kitten and she got outside...the day we were leaving for a week long church camp! We very quickly put up flyers in the neighborhood nearest our house and with tears in our eyes, left for camp (no cell service for the week.) When we got home, there was a message on our machine from the father of a young girl who had found our kitten. They took her to one of the local vets and we got her back!!! Wishing for a happy ending for you too.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:37 PM

I have not read all the suggestions yet but get a box trap (Have a heart) and set it uo close to the house thinking about how she would slink near some shrubs or near the edge of a porch. use stinky food as many suggested and put a towel or dark cloth over it that smells like home. Hope fully S she will think it is her "home cave" and the human smells will keep you from catching as many varments. I have raised Bengal cats for years. Some of my escapees were very shy. One I had given up on and I think it was 2 or 3 weeks and she was caught.

Robin
Old 06-10-2011, 03:10 PM

We lost a cat going into the vet one time. We didn't use a carrier (I know, bad parents) and he jumped down. We put fliers all over the place. Two weeks went by, most of the fliers had been removed by then. We got a call from someone who lives on the out skirts of town, about 1/2 mile from where we lost him. She said she thought she'd found him. We rushed over to check and it was him!! He was significantly thinner than 2 weeks earlier, but he was safe and healthy. He was discovered 1/2 mile from where we lost him, 2 whole weeks later. Who knows where he'd been all that time.