Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this happen to anyone else?? >

Does this happen to anyone else??

Does this happen to anyone else??

Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 AM

Several things come to mind that might help you.. First, do add the backpack weight. I learned that on a trip I took with my granddaughter..It helps keep your shoulders from tensing up. Second, raise your sewing machine to a more comfortable height. I used Margarita McManus' tutorial for that, and it has made a tremendous difference. Third, adjust your chair height so that your feet reach the floor, but you don't have to bend or lean over your machine. And four, I recommend having your iron set up on a table next to you, so you don't have to get up and down too much. Of course, you need to take frequent breaks, too.

Hope all this helps.. but do take care of your body. You come first, then the lovely quilts... Hugs!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by buddy'smom
When I quilt and do it for any length of time my back is killing me, I get up and walk, take brakes, I do alot of PP so I'm always back & forth to the ironing board. And lots of times it's my side as well??
One thing that might help is to get one of those exercise balls and use it instead of a chair. I learned this from my brother-in-law who works all day in an office at a computer. It encourages you to have small movements in your back and strengthens your core muscles (the ones that support your spine).

Get one size larger than would be recommended for excercise to put you at the correct height for sewing, computer, etc.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by buddy'smom
When I quilt and do it for any length of time my back is killing me, I get up and walk, take brakes, I do alot of PP so I'm always back & forth to the ironing board. And lots of times it's my side as well??
I have the worst chair for sewing. Its a wooden fold up chair. I usually watch Gundam Wing when quilting and at max can get through a whole disc (or five 22 minute episodes) before I have to slide into the bed and lay down for a while because my lower back hurts. Probably doesn't help that my sewing space is about 2'x3'...gets a bit cramped in there!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 AM

WOW, thanks everyone, some great ideals to try, I'd do just about anything to have my back stop hurting. I also have arthritis of the spine so this adds to it for sure.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:20 AM

A lot of companies now have employees get up and off computer for 5 mins every 30 minutes to an hour. So it should work for us as well. DH was in meeting last week where every 30 mins they had to stand for 5 mins. Meeting continued during this time...he hates that kind of thing...lol.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

I have arthritis of the spine and a few other back problems, and have found it is a lot easier on my back to quilt standing up. I place my machine on my cutting table and put a styrofoam "table" around it to give me a larger flat surface. I can quilt for *much* longer standing up without any back problems.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 AM

Hi..I used to sew at my daughters desk but it was so uncomfortable...not only did my back hurt but I started getting pain in my neck....I now have a proper work surface and a height adjustable chair (cheap from Ikea) that has a back support....Now I get No back pain ....please don't continue , you could really suffer in the future. Go and test good chairs out and takes lots of breaks..Also make sure your foot pedal is at the right height, putting it on a phone directory can make a real difference....even set an alarm every hour and walk round the house.....that's the nurse in me speaking
Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Be sure that your chair is not so high that yours finger tips are lower than your elbows. If so lower the chair. also what I do is have block of wood or book (what ever) for the left foot to rest on, also works at the ironing board to have one foot a bit higher than the other. I should say that this works for me!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM

My chiropractor showed me 'static back' exercise! Lay on floor with knees on chair at 90deg, arms out to side, palms facing UP. Make sure bottom is up against chair(ie hips 90deg,knees 90deg) lay for 15mins this helps to realign spine and reduce shoulder tension!! Try it! works for me!!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 PM

I have been working way too much recently, and not quilting near enough. But when I do have the time to quilt, I TRY to take a break every time I empty a bobbin. That usually will keep me from the chiropractor's office! But, of course, I do get carried away and just have to finish, and then I spend too much time hunched over my machine. OWEE! Good luck figuring it out!!