Does this happen to anyone else??

Does this happen to anyone else??

Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 PM

BellaBoo,
I envy you.
Enjoy the pain free sewing time.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

I'm a sissy. When anything hurts, I go to the Dr., the same day if possible. A pain is a sign something is wrong and I want it checked immediately. I don't believe in waiting to see if it goes away.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by deanna.r
Originally Posted by buddy'smom
When I quilt and do it for any length of time my back is killing me, I get up and walk, take brakes, I do alot of PP so I'm always back & forth to the ironing board. And lots of times it's my side as well??
One thing that might help is to get one of those exercise balls and use it instead of a chair. I learned this from my brother-in-law who works all day in an office at a computer. It encourages you to have small movements in your back and strengthens your core muscles (the ones that support your spine).

Get one size larger than would be recommended for excercise to put you at the correct height for sewing, computer, etc.
There are CHAIRS that have the exercise balls in them. They are pricey, but I have a teacher friend who had them in her classroom for students who needed kinetic support, and she also used it herself for her back after a car accident. I tried it one day in my classroom and thought it was very comfortable. Check out this website, and there are many others online too. Be sure to look at the height, as you might have to adjust the height of your sewing machine. http://www.gaiam.com/product/exercis...eball-chair.do
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 PM

After years of refusing to try ice for my back, I finally tried it and couldn't believe the difference from using the heating pad !Blessed relief.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:20 PM

Yes, I've developed Degenerative Disc Disease. I am on an NSAID painkiller because I've chosen sewing as my profession. I've found doing things in 20 minute increments and resting for 15 minutes at a time helps.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
Originally Posted by irishrose
Not when piecing, but SITD gets me every time. I think it's the tension of it having to be so perfect. Plus the quilt is getting bulky by then. I was looking at those Posture Pleasers. I ended up putting 2 pounds of weight in a child's backpack. My back didn't get sore FMQ this time. I also need to keep my chair the right height so I'm not bending forward. That makes a huge difference.
I bought one of these years ago and when I know I'm going to HAVE to sew quite a bit, this helps immensely. Without realizing it, while sewing, slowly over several minutes I start hunching my shoulders like a turtle peeking out of its shell.

I mentioned this to my husband, an engineer, who noticed height relationships of everything I did while doing the process of quilting. He designed a sewing cabinet with a dropdown cutting/work table (24x60) leaf, a tabletop that is "my" perfect height (my forearms rest flat on the surface while moving fabric through the machine), and bought an expensive (but not top of the line) office chair that met my height relationship needs. My cutting table, ironing board, sewing cabinet work surface and my chair ALL coordinate. Three-quarters of my physical discomfort disappeared; I still have to use the Posture Pleaser to counter all those decades of hunching over "wrong height" tables and chairs.

I also recently bought the Gypsy Sit Upon which I use at my computer desk, just a few feet from the sewing table. (It's kind of a silent whoopie cushion on steroids.) Very minute movements of my hips on this thing as I use the computer or do deskwork, make all the difference - no more locking hip joints, even after HOURS of sitting.
Wow, my husband is good at bending things, but isn't an engineer. Maybe your DH would consider doing some kind of tutorial, or explanation on how sewing surfaces should be designed for different height people that we could use to get our own work surfaces adjusted. I've heard that engineers like that kind of detailed work and your DH obviously does, so could you present him with the challenge. Pretty please, with sugar on top????:):)
I just read my post above and have know idea why I wrote "bending" things when I meant "making" things. Must have been in la-la land. Sorry, everyone.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 PM

I use yoga to cure most aches & pains. It is great for keeping healthy. I go to classes at our local YMCA. In my opinion it helps cure about anything or at least make it easier.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
I don't need to sew, sit, or anything else. I have Fibromialga and am in the advanced stage. No matter what I do, I hurt. I do a lot of walking which helps the combination of Fibro and Ostheo a lot. So--to make a long story shorter, I sew as long as the bod will allow.
Me too and amen !!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 PM

I can only sit for 2-3 hours at the machine and less time staining at the ironing board. So I always have a hand project for me to work on in my recliner or ingo lay down and read the QB.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:20 AM

Yes either hand or machine but will never stop, haha