Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
BE CAREFUL...Don't give any information >

BE CAREFUL...Don't give any information

BE CAREFUL...Don't give any information

Old 06-18-2011, 08:34 PM

I just love the emails from UPS, FEDEX and DHL saying I have a package waiting for delivery and hit some link to claim it.... uh huh... LOL
Old 06-18-2011, 09:09 PM

Sounds like the same bunch that says they have my check/ATM card for 3.7 million dollars that my dead uncle in Malaysia left me in his will I have 1 uncle and he is very much alive and he's never been to Malaysia And the spelling in the message was spelled- M-A-L-A-S-I-A
Old 06-19-2011, 04:38 AM

This can also happen with a toll-free #, (didn't have her glasses on) which never should be answered unless you happen to know who it is and it's OK with you. My friend got one with a voice asking her "wasn't she excited" - she had won $20,000 and a new Mercedes. It didn't matter that she had not entered a contest (she told him so); he just kept asking her "wasn't she excited?" until she asked how much this was going to cost her - she then was answered with a string of very nasty expletives and her caller slammed down the phone. Not an email, but just as dangerous.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:43 AM

Wish this were true...I've been waiting over 4 months and was told it could be anywhere from 4 to 6 more weeks.

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
Not to mention, anybody who was owed a refund most likely has gotten it already.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:50 AM

I got a phone call one time and the number was 9's and3456. In sequence like that. They told me that I was selected to receive a large amount of money. It all boiled down to they wanted my acct # so after they deposited the cash, they would deduct the $57 for transfer. I was told to not even say anything because they can manipulate the recording to make it sound like you did agree to what they were saying. I don't even answer the phone if I don't recognize it. Too many scams and solicitors.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:48 AM

I get those all the time. I read them because they're always so funny and I wonder how dumb they think I am. Also, if you get some type of letter like this, and they ask you to call the number below (or something like that), never call. Delete the message and call from a number you have from them.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the warning!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:38 AM

Be very CAREFUL WHAT YOU ANSWER. My son works for the IRS in Washinggton, DC for the last 10 years. The IRS will only contact you by US mail and not in any other way, shape or form. Please do not answer any emails. They are nothing but a SCAM. . . . .
Old 06-19-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I received an email this morning that says it was from the IRS. The email states that when I filed my 2010 Income taxes that I FORGOT to put my social security number and my birthday and to fill out this attachment and to fill it out and send it to them by hitting the send button and if I don't my income tax return will be delayed until I do.

Now WHY IN GODS green earth would I do something like that??? And this is the reason why I wouldnt and didn't.

1. IRS's letter head would say INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE. NOT IRS.

2. Do they think I'm stupid to think that IRS would ask for this information in an email? NOPE. They would send me a formal letter in the mail.

3. Now why would they send me this email when WE DON'T file income taxes!!!

4. If it was a legitimate email from the IRS, It WOULD NOT SHOW that it was a mulitple mailing to a bunch of people with weird names that looked like middle eastern names (mohammad....) And besides......I can guarantee you that IRS doesn't make typing errors which this had several. Along with words that were joined and not seperated by a space.

SO PLEASE as a warning to all of you. DO NOT SEND any information to them. Its a SCAM.
This is a joke right, We all file taxes
Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 AM

This is how so many elderly people, and young people to get ripped off. I don't believe the IRS would even send an email. And I certainly wouldn't respond. Then there are those email that says Queen so-in-so, needs your help. She has to put money in an out of the country bank...(US) so could you send your bank information. Most of us are pretty smart about these rip offs. So I feel sorry for the ones who think it is legitamate. As daddy said, "If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably isn't"