Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Don't go to this website-be careful. >

Don't go to this website-be careful.

Don't go to this website-be careful.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:27 AM

Default Don't go to this website-be careful.

A WORD TO THE WISE!

There are many delicious recipes pictured on Pinterest and many of them come from a site calling themselves "Homemade Food Recipes". When you click on the photograph it NEVER brings up the recipe shown. I have had my computer screwed up so many times by clicking on invalid sites.

My son who installs and repairs computers for a living for our a government agency says these sites are UNSAFE AND MALWARE is often attached. Be safe and google the name of the recipe to see if you can find it on a legitimate site.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

thanks. someone recently asked about a Chinese site. No way I'd go to a Chinese site or even Russian at this time. Way too many viruses and hackers there.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the warning. Is there a way to find where an e-mail came from without clicking on to the mail itself?
Old 12-09-2014, 01:39 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
Thanks for the warning. Is there a way to find where an e-mail came from without clicking on to the mail itself?
Yes, there is. Just hover your cursor over the 'from' address or any part of it and the full real address should appear.

I do this even for "friends" and family whom I haven't heard from in forever if I wonder whether their address book has been hacked and that's why I'm hearing from them now. And I rarely ever open an attachment or a URL included in an email unless I'm expecting it. I'd rather be "rude" than sorry.

I've been on the internet (properly known as the World Wide Web, or www) for 20+ years and have been disrupted only twice in all that time using these (and other) precautions.

Jan in VA
Old 12-09-2014, 04:13 PM

another way...R click the message--a drop down window opens---L click on 'properties' at the bottom of the window, and see the sender's true address. Click 'details' and see other people the mail was sent to.
Just do not click on the attachment until you verify the authenticity of the sender. You can test this with mail in your box that you have already opened.

Last edited by mermaid; 12-09-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:57 AM

Have you told Pinterest about thIs site. I am sure they would be interested!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I totally agree with Jan. I have always chosen to be safe than sorry. There are so many tempting website. We have to be so careful now a days. I just found that someone found an old Netflix account and started using my old AmExp card that had been cancelled over a year ago.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the warning...
Old 12-14-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Yes, there is. Just hover your cursor over the 'from' address or any part of it and the full real address should appear.

I do this even for "friends" and family whom I haven't heard from in forever if I wonder whether their address book has been hacked and that's why I'm hearing from them now. And I rarely ever open an attachment or a URL included in an email unless I'm expecting it. I'd rather be "rude" than sorry.

I've been on the internet (properly known as the World Wide Web, or www) for 20+ years and have been disrupted only twice in all that time using these (and other) precautions.

Jan in VA
Thanks Jan. I don't know the first thing about computer"anything", totally illiterate, so any help is greatly appreciated!