Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it time to call it quits? >

Is it time to call it quits?

Is it time to call it quits?

Old 06-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I would double check each seam and see if you are not veering off right or left at any point along the seam. That will distort your block size.
I have been quilting for years and sometimes my seams or points will not match no matter how I re sew them. Unless your swap is for a certain pattern then make log cabin blocks. Easy blocks of all to make.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:26 AM

Lots of helpful hints here. I don't know if it is a particular block you are doing but I assume that is the case. Another factor I didn't see mentioned is fabric construction. Some weaves will not allow you to make a point where you want to! They have a propensity to shift in one direction or another. A friend tried to do a Hunter Star with a twill fabric that you could NOT sew straight! Didn't matter which direction the fabric was cut - it would not work! Is your fabric evenly woven? Try the pattern with other fabrics... and good luck!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Don't give up. This last quilt top I made gave me fits. I swear I put it together, ripped it apart, sewed it together, ripped it apart at least 20 times, but I wouldn't let it beat me. No, not all the points match, not even close, but the top is finished now i'm just waiting to find the right backing fabric then im going to quilt it. At this point I don't even care that is doesn't have perfect points, it is done and I have more points that match than don't. It will still keep my legs warm on a winters evening. I think I know what happend, and next top I will be much more careful not to stretch, press to hard or whatever that will put my block to far out of shape. I'm up to the challenge to just do better the next time. Don't let it beat you, it will come to you eventually. With practice it can become perfect.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by MomNanaWolf
If you would like to give me a call I can help walk you through some of the ways to help keep your blocks square and get your points to come out right. Don't give up it too me a long time to get this right. And remember the bigest and best thing of all. "THERE ARE NO QUILT POLICE" I am sure I have been in over a dozen swaps and not all the blocks I got were the right size, so I just added a boarder to them all and cut them down to all one size. No worries people know we are all still learning. So just PM me and I maybe can help you out, but don't give up you can do it.
Been there, done that! Quarter inch seams still challenge me. I usually have to move the needle over a little if I remember.!
Adding a border is a great suggestion. And how about alternating your block with snowball blocks or just plain squares? I have done that too. And even used fewer blocks to make a table runner and/or lap quilt. Hang in there. All is not lost! You will be glad you did.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 AM

Are you kidding? Sometimes this happens and we just move on.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:05 AM

Please don't give up. No one is perfect, and eventually we all get better. I've been "quilting" for 9 years now and still don't consider myself a "quilter".
Old 06-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Hi I was watching Eleanor Burns do a show and she used June Tailor slotted cutting rulers (I hate to cut!!!) and I went to WalMart (that's when they still sold fabric and such), bought two different sizes!! Cutting became much easier and accurate but I did buy Accuquilt Go later on. Go online, look for these June Tailor rulers - once I was cutting exactly, my squares looked a whole lot better. Maybe someone in this group knows of another company who makes these. If so, please share.
Hang in there - quilting becomes relaxing.
Linda :)
Old 06-19-2011, 10:24 AM

Oh please don't give up!!! We all started somewhere and even now, our quilts usually require some kind of removal of stitches. I shudder think how my first quilt looked but still knew that through sheer determination, one day, I would be proud of my quilting. Sorry to say, I haven't reach that part of my goal YET. LOL I would just make the same pattern over and over until I mastered it.....let me tell you, it was just plain 10" blocks. But boy, have I learned a LOT just on those blocks. But now, I have finally moved on to a new pattern and no doubt would make this pattern over and over until I master it, too. So don't despair....you will accomplish your quilt.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:34 AM

Take some deep calming breathes of air! Please realize that nobody makes pieces correctly in the beginning. At least you think others do it so well in the beginning....NOPE! You are stressing over doing these blocks for a swap. Just sew those blocks together and send them in-please. Getting points right is one of the hardest things to do for many quilters.
It is ok, don't quit quilting.

Kat
Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 AM

The fun of a swap is it is open to all skill levels.

No one is going to be hyper because they got a block that is a little wonky...or dang they'd be slinging my name all over.

I use the swaps as a testing ground for new techniques so every one is a guinea pig project.

I've gotten a few wonky blocks and am so glad they were sent because that person didn't give up and was hopefully having fun.

Remember...there's no such thing as a perfect quilt...never ever anywhere anytime.