Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When do you call it  "quits" >

When do you call it "quits"

When do you call it "quits"

Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Pam

I have done lots for an old friend who helped me out. I literally saved her business, now she has bounced a check to me, no biggie, right? She is in FLA having a vacation!! I am sweating it out in SO IL!!! She is gonna send me a check! ( 3 weeks ago) She has my horse and carriage! $6000 minimum!! Should I go pick it all up and kiss her goodby? I am tired of being used by friends and family. What to do? I would like to tell her to find her own way, but she is someone I truly care about. Guess I should face the music, she only cares about me when she needs a favor.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

I just had to let a friend of 42 years go... It is heartbreaking, but sometimes you just have to do it.
Only you know if it is the right time to give her more time or cut her loose.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:54 PM

Pam, I know what you mean. I have felt used alot of times by my so-called friend. My conclusion is a friend wouldn't do those things. I'm so sorry but it looks like she is taking advantage of you big time. Guess I would have a serious talk with her. Don't let her use you. It will just keep getting worse. As for her bouncing a check to you & then go on vacation... that in my eyes would be it. That is totally dis-honest & deceiving. Who needs a friend like that?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

Been there done that and after a certain point you will say its no longer worth it . But you have to get to that point on your own.

I had a friend who always borrowed money, never paid it back :roll: nothing big, 5 bucks here 2 there.. you know small stuff, or so I thought til I added it up one month :shock: It was almost 100.00 I was a single mom working two jobs and for what ... to support her I think not :hunf:

We are still friends, I just limit my time with her. You will get to the point , soon I suspect
Good Luck :thumbup:
Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 PM

Time to set your foot down and quit being a welcome mat.

42 Years! Yikes that was hard. Must have been really bad to end your friendship.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Been there done that and after a certain point you will say its no longer worth it . But you have to get to that point on your own.

I had a friend who always borrowed money, never paid it back :roll: nothing big, 5 bucks here 2 there.. you know small stuff, or so I thought til I added it up one month :shock: It was almost 100.00 I was a single mom working two jobs and for what ... to support her I think not :hunf:

We are still friends, I just limit my time with her. You will get to the point , soon I suspect
Good Luck :thumbup:

I, too, have a friend that always borrowed small amounts of $$$ without paying it back. I quit lending it, saying I didn't have the cash that day, etc. She came over one day while I was rearranging dishes in a curio cabinet. She asked if she could have a black & clear glass shot glass. I said, okay, then SAW IT THE NEXT MONTH IN HER YARD SALE!!! No more impromptu "gifts" -- I, too, just limit my time with her. She also has more issues that made me limit my time with her.
:roll:
Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 PM

"Guess I should face the music, she only cares about me when she needs a favor."

If this is truly what is going on, then she in no friend! And I think you already know what you should do with her.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:19 PM

Think I'd find a way to get the Carrage back with out making a big deal out of it... Then next time ask for $$ let her know you don't have $$ for that.
Was always told don't loan it and expect it back.
Best of Luck in deciding what to do. :)
Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 PM

I had to turn my back on a dear friend.

She was addicted to painkillers, in a methadone treatment program, and taking an anti depressant or two. I could never get a straight story out of her as to what exactly she was taking.
One day her husband calls and says she is flipping out, chasing him through the house with a knife. The cops come, he says he is taking her to the ER. A few minutes later she calls, I tell her I will meet her at the ER, so I break several traffic laws getting there, thinking they should be there by now since they live closer than I do to the hospital. They haven't even arrived yet, why you ask? She had to put on her makeup and pick out an outfit to wear :shock:
I finally get to talk to her face to face. She tells me, she is having a bad reaction to some meds. She gets called in, we all sit in the room and the Dr. arrives. She promptly tells him she needs a shot of a certain med. I find out this stuff she wants is stronger than Morphine. I am shocked, he gives it to her!
About 30 minutes passes she rings for the D.r and says she needs more cause she is still hurting. He says no, because all the med does is take the edge off so she can relax and get some rest. She gets rather insistent with him. I loose it, and tell her to tell him the real reason your there. Cause you flipped out from all the crap you take and chased Robert all over the house with a butcher knife. She screams at me to shut up. I tell her ....when you grow up and start dealing with your problems and addictions call me. Until then I am out of here. Her husband follows me out of the room and grabs my arm. I glare at him and tell him if wants a to pull back a nub he best let go. He tells me, how dare I speak to her that way, shes sick. I go yeah she is. Get her some help.

She died two years later, of an overdose. Her Mother said a long illness, I think she said that just to save face in her group of friends.

Alisa left a beautiful girl named Megan behind.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:47 PM

I thought it would be ok for my brother to stay at my house while he went through a bad time with his divorce. A brother I adored and trusted. Until I found out he stole from me, smoked pot with my son and told my family lies about my husband. That was the end. I cannot, with a clear mind, think that what he has done is alright. I will not support him, or talk to him again. He told lies to his own children to benefit himself. It's time for you to stop being an enabler. I won't, why should you?