Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it time to call it quits? >

Is it time to call it quits?

Is it time to call it quits?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Carol Jean
...When working with a new pattern I use muslin to do the first block. Hand press with a wood iron....
Carol Jean, Professing my ignorance but what in the world is a 'wood iron'???
Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MissSandra
Oh nooooo don't give up i struggle also, horribly yet i still plow on perhaps you should give paper peicing a try, its the one thing I can do with out so many issues, but cutting fabric lining this up is a huge headach for me and I don't enjoy it but PP gives me something to enjoy with great lines.
Yes, paperpiecing is a great alternative. Perfect everytime.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:10 AM

Remember that life isn't perfect and that a quilt is like life...or at least it takes on a life of its own. I believe all quilts must have one flaw or mistake in them. Keep to simple quilts, some of the most beautiful quilts I have seen are very simple patterns with beautiful fabrics and straight stitch quilting. Try to remind yourself that your quilt doesn't need to look just like the one the someone else has done. No two quilts are the same, period; just as no two people are the same. So, take a deep breathe, take your time, and enjoy!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

what blocks are you doing and are they paper pieced? let us know, we can help and maybe even find some tutes online for you.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:25 AM

PLeeeeeaasssss don't give up. Practice and you will get better each time. Have someone hold your quilt up, and driving by at 55 mph can you see the mistakes? Well.....Plus our work isn't suppose to be perfect. Only Christ is perfect. Now that does'nt mean to not try your best. But you will get better. Took me years to cut my first piece of fabric. I was scared to death. I'm fine now. You will be fine too.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:38 AM

No don't give up I know a woman Doctor that does not understand the patterns either, so that makes me feel pretty smart don't make me feel smarter then you!!! I'm really , really bad at Math!!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 AM

Just walk away from that project for now and work on something small and simpled. We all have things we lay aside because of frustration and hop0efully being away from it a few days will give you new perstective on it. I always have at least one mistake in mine that is just unfixable so it has become my signature.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 AM

Wow, this is a little scary. First of all my name is Sharon also. And second, I am having the exact same feelings. I was all excited about making a quilt using the disappearing 9 patch pattern. I sewed a 9 patch together last night but when I went to cut it in half it just didn't measure up. I was so discouraged that I threw it down and walked outside. I still don't know what I am doing wrong but sometime I will go back and try again. Please don't give up. I know it takes practice and more practice but I will tell you that I have learned so much from this board. It is amazing. Hang in there!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Don't give up, just step away for a minute, it will come together...
Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 AM

Don't give up....I hand quilted years ago and got much better points than machine quilting, but machine quilting is so much faster, and I try every tut on this board. I have a hard time cutting. I actually sit on my table to help me keep the strips accurate. I thought I had a 1/4" foot, but don't, so I just ordered one. I wasn't really sure what they meant by a scant 1/4", so just recently at our quilt guild, we were making sample blocks to trade. On our sewing day, we were told to do a scant 1/4" which I did and my blocks came out fine. I came home, using the same machine, and made 16 more blocks. Forgot about the scant 1/4" so I ended up with 16 blocks that were to small. So they couldn't be used by the quilt club. But I ended up just making another quilt using the smaller blocks, and that will be a test quilt. The three things I've learned to try to get acuracy is. 1. accurate cutting. 2. accurate 1/4" (or scant) seams and 3. iron the seams in opposite directions so you can wiggle those seams up tight, and oh #4....I watch all the sewing shows on tv I can find, especially Eleanore Burns. I learn something on this board almost daily. And I've been quilting for 30 years, so don't give up, just keep learning. And more important.....have fun. I give you alot of credit for doing a swap. I just did my first one started in June. Before that I didn't think my work was good enough. Don't be so hard on yourself.