Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What are some of your Childhood memories? >

What are some of your Childhood memories?

What are some of your Childhood memories?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 AM

Catching fireflies in a jar.

Walking to the gulf with my cousin and setting out crab traps. We would wade up to our necks and neither of us could swim - our parents did not know.

Walking to town to buy a snowcone.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:12 AM

1.playing under the quilting fame at Grandma's home and if dhe didn't like the stitches she would take them out after the ladies left.
2. playing in the sandbox with my sister. She says that I made up friends to play with when I got tired of paying her way.
3.Living in the country and seeing the farm house and barn from back yard.
4. Having a swing on an old oak tree.
5. WALKING TO THE FARM AND caryying the milk back to our home. My sister and I did that for many years starting at a early age.
6. Going to church every Sunday. In the summer time going to Bible school vacation and playing with other friends.
7. Going swimming in the rock quary.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 AM

Fishing Bass Tournaments with my dad. Spending the summer with my grandmother, doing crafts with her & making french toasts. Climbing trees (I was a tomboy.) Playing in the sand at the farm, Saving wax coke cups & the tomato trays to make furniture for Barbie Houses. Hunting with my dad & 12 Bassett Hounds. That mean boy Tim Willett in elementary school that use to pick on me all the time, My BFF Gil who I use to play army & cars with. Got older & moved, bad memories went to 3 different high schools but did find Dh at last one, still together 36 years. I would never go back to school again but if I did I would have done things a lot different. Best childhood memory-having the most wonderful grandmother any child could ever have. I miss her still.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 AM

1. playing ghost games at night with the neighbor kids while Mom and neighbor lady talked in the kitchen over a pot of coffee
2. playing barbie dolls half the day with my best friends
3. swinging on the swing and singing beetle songs with my sister.
4. picking all the beans in the garden for mom.
5. watching the 4th of July fireworks on top of My big brothers dodge car.
6. Waiting for Mr. Softie (ice cream man) to come down our street, the biggest and best ever ice cream cones.
7. walking to Golden lake to go swimming all day with friends.
8. Waiting for the first time I ever watched the "wizard of Oz and saw it in color when the house landed.

Actually the list goes on and on. No wonder we have such GREAT Imaginations.... "We didn't sit in front of the TV all day or have electronics to occupy our brains.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by belmer
1. playing ghost games at night with the neighbor kids while Mom and neighbor lady talked in the kitchen over a pot of coffee
2. playing barbie dolls half the day with my best friends
3. swinging on the swing and singing beetle songs with my sister.
4. picking all the beans in the garden for mom.
5. watching the 4th of July fireworks on top of My big brothers dodge car.
6. Waiting for Mr. Softie (ice cream man) to come down our street, the biggest and best ever ice cream cones.
7. walking to Golden lake to go swimming all day with friends.
8. Waiting for the first time I ever watched the "wizard of Oz and saw it in color when the house landed.

Actually the list goes on and on. No wonder we have such GREAT Imaginations.... "We didn't sit in front of the TV all day or have electronics to occupy our brains.
You are sooo right!!! The list goes on and on. I teach GED to young adults. These kids have no clue. I talk about things when I was young, and they look at me like I'm crazy!!! I do give them assignments of 'old time" things to look up on the internet. It's AMAZING!!!!

But you know, I wouldn't have changed anything from my youth. Thinking about just makes me feel young!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 AM

1. Playing paper dolls with my sister.

2. Sitting in porch swing at my grandmama's house, while we colored in coloring books. Grandmama always signed her name on the pages she colored. Oh how I wish I still had some of those coloring books.

3. Going "to town" on Saturday nights. We only had one car, which Daddy drove to work. The stores on the downtown square stayed open late on Saturday nights. When Daddy got home from work we'd all go back to town, park on the square, shop and visit with friends. Daddy would stand on the sidewalk talking to his friends as long as there was anybody there for him to talk to.

4. Playing with my sister in our "play house" under the old chinaberry tree in our back yard.

5. Jumping rope
Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 AM

two that always spring to mind for me are 1. my sister and I having a row on the way home from school on our bikes we were about 8 and 10 I got so cross I stuck my foot in her wheel!!! we didn't tell anyone and both our wounds on our legs became infected - they were pretty serious cuts unfortunately or fortunately we were found out when we both had to hobble up the ailse as bridesmaids for my brother - the family were not impressed. (we still have the scars)!! The second one was coming home from school to find a beautiful kitten sitting on top of our tv - we called her Mandy and she lived to a good age of 23
Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 AM

Swimming in the creek with my brothers and sisters in our undies. Then having to hide in the bushes when the Watkins man came by in his horse and buggy (remember Doc Adams from Gunsmoke).

Attending a one-room school with no indoor plumbing and a wood stove in winter. My mom's fried chocolate pies for lunch/dessert. Walking the 2 miles home from school.

Just a note -- I started grade school in the 40's.

Going to town on Saturdays and going to the movies with 50 cents for admission, a coke, candy, and a hotdog.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 AM

Swimming in the river or irrigation ditch, flying kites, hopscotch. Playing tag in the cemetary.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 PM

One of my favorites was making my cousin let me play marbles with the 7th graders and winning all their marbles. I was only in the 2nd grade. Needless to say, they weren't proud to see me.