Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to keep track of finally reorganized fabrics, projects, collections... >

How to keep track of finally reorganized fabrics, projects, collections...

How to keep track of finally reorganized fabrics, projects, collections...

Old 06-23-2011, 05:47 AM

An idea for organizing that has worked for me is to use a recipe card for each box or tub to list (in pencil so you can add or delete fabarics over the years) all the contents. Then label each box ie: 1,2,3, this I write on the top of the recipe card along with which shelves or closet I have placed the bos. Like Guest room closet, box 1.I then put the cards in the frnt of my recipe card file.
That way you do not have to wander around looking at each box or lifting it to go through it. I also did this with my Chhristmas decorations so I remember to get all of them out each year.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Just tell yourself you are making a list and checking it twice....for insurance purposes.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:17 AM

I entered all of my craft items, thread, material, projects, quilt tops made but not quilted, kits. I have two roll away carts and I listed them and what drawer each item was in, I purchased tubs and numbered my tubs and listed what was in what tub. I have two cabinets, which I numbered and list what shelf the item is on. I am so organized now, I scare myself. The other day someone called me for a safari baby quilt. Went to my list and found that I did have a top and where it was. OMG I am glad I took the time to do this and believe you me I spent some time because I have 6 pages single line of items. I also list what I paid for them so I know when I make something what I spent. Course when I look at my list I know I will never complete all of the items or use all of the fabric in my life time.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 AM

I entered all of my craft items, thread, material, projects, quilt tops made but not quilted, kits. I have two roll away carts and I listed them and what drawer each item was in, I purchased tubs and numbered my tubs and listed what was in what tub. I have two cabinets, which I numbered and list what shelf the item is on. I am so organized now, I scare myself. The other day someone called me for a safari baby quilt. Went to my list and found that I did have a top and where it was. OMG I am glad I took the time to do this and believe you me I spent some time because I have 6 pages single line of items. I also list what I paid for them so I know when I make something what I spent. Course when I look at my list I know I will never complete all of the items or use all of the fabric in my life time.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 AM

Yes, I have a spreadsheet to keep track of a bunch of stuff, but it's just a very basic list. I have a list of the kits that are awaiting completion, panels in my stash (I am a panel-a-holic), and partially-finished projects. I do not have a spreadsheet of my fabric stash, though.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:27 AM

LOL. I couldn't make a spread sheet if I tried. Not even sure I know what a spread sheet is exactly. But I am a list maker!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:36 AM

Earlier this year I was feeling so frustrated with projects all over my sewing area and it didn't seem like I was getting any thing accomplished. I knew I needed to get my projedcts organized so I packed each project in its own container and put them away except one. I decided to just keep one project out and work on it as I could since there wasn't a rush on any of the projects. Since that time I have been able to make a lot of progress on each of the projects. I just get one out at a time and sew on it until I get it done or come to a point that I have to stop for whatever reason. I have found that this helps me more than having a stack of projects out that I look at every day. A list probably wouldn't help me at all.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 AM

I have a small notebook where I write each project in and the fabric I have planned for it and then if and WHEN I get the project done, I cross it off my list. I am not as organized as you and have it on a spreadsheet, but that is a great idea. Some day I might do that. Kits I usually put in a plastic container with the name on the outside of the container.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 AM

I have a list and scratch projects off when I'm done. I also add new projects and keep it up to date. I have my projects & future projects in clear bins (scrap book bins).
Old 06-23-2011, 07:16 AM

I made a list...and then lost it.