Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to keep track of finally reorganized fabrics, projects, collections... >

How to keep track of finally reorganized fabrics, projects, collections...

How to keep track of finally reorganized fabrics, projects, collections...

Old 06-23-2011, 10:02 AM

I keep mine in project boxes. I setack them,plus I can see in.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:16 PM

I'm afraid of making a list, it will discourage me too much!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:44 PM

One of the quilt guilds I belong to has a contest each year to see who can finish the most UFOs. We make a lisst of all UFOs, keep a copy for ourself and turn a copy into the chairman of the contest. Each time we finish a UFO and bring it to Show & Tell, we get to cross it off our list! This goes for a full year (Jan-Jan). The winner usually gets a bundle of FQs, or a gift certificate to a LQS. It is a great motivator. Some members have lists numbering into the hundreds; some only have a few. It really doesn't matter - the idea is to finish them and bring to S&T.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:44 PM

I have a mental list of projects I want to do. As soon as I finish handquilting my peony quilt, only a few thousand stitches to go, I want to make a quilt for sil who is going to Afghanstand. A quilt for gs, vw bugs, a kokopelli dresden plant for dh. whoa! brain burnout.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:26 PM

I keep a little journal book by my sewing machine that I write new projects in--one per page. At the end of the year, it helps me realize how much I actually did get accomplished and sometimes prevents me from forgetting something I was working on and then got derailed from finishing.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 PM

I have a list on my phone, but haven't gone so far as to make a spreadsheet. I tend to work on only one project at a tme so I know where I am in the process. I have specific collections of fabrics for upcoming projects, though.
I did see an app for my phone that would let me keep photos of my fabrics on it. It was a bit pricey (about $20), but would sure be handy when I think a particular fabric would go with some I have. I also wonder how true the colors would be on the phone. I could carry swatches in a binder for matching, but that seems silly if I'm going to the fabric store for, say, thread, and "just happen" to wander over to the quilting fabric section :lol: I guess I could leave the binder in the car so it would be with me without my having to carry it into the store every time. Well, maybe when the basement remodel is finished and I can get back to my sewing studio. Everything is on hold here for a while.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:43 PM

I tried doing something similar with items I make for selling. As pics were added to my spreadsheet and verbage, obviously the file gets bigger. Over time, I noticed my file kept getting corrupted or something and took a long time to load OR Excel would simply stop responding. Not sure if it was file related or computer related..but thought I'd pass this along since I got frustrated working with the file. I actually had better luck creating a table within Word. Pic in one column and verbage in another. That seems to work better and didn't corrupt on me. I tried creating a database but don't know Access well enough.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:56 PM

I did an inventory of my projects, kits, precuts, books, rulers, and other, but not my individual fabrics. It helps to know what I have, but still doesn't stop me from buying more. My goal this summer is to resort my fabrics as it's been awhile since I've done that.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:29 PM

Yep tried it and as soon as I find that list I'll let ya know whether it works or not :lol: Getting UFO's done before starting the next project isn't to much of a problem for me.I figure there almost done gifts if I ever need a last minute gift I can finish one real quick I call this Creative Planning :-)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Started thinking about it once, but quickly dismissed the whole idea when I realized that Icould be quilting with all the time I was spending wondering what scraps I had stashed away somewhere. Occasionally (maybe every couple of years or so) I'll go thru some of this stuff just to remind myself of what I've got and usually pull out a couple of things to finish - That's about it for me LOL