Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Basting Questions >

Spray Basting Questions

Spray Basting Questions

Old 06-26-2011, 02:03 PM

the spray holds up great while quilting , then after you wash the quilt the spay desolves , use it in a ventalated room and watch for overspraying anything else that gets spray will be tacky
Old 06-26-2011, 02:25 PM

Not long ago, I saw a video of someone tacking tiles to their gargage walls, then tacking the quilt to that, spray basting, then applying the batting, spray again, then the backing.
I love this method and want to set this up in my garage. I could put plastic over the tiles when not in use, to keep them clean.
You might be able to view this on UTUBE.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:47 PM

Great ideas on spray basting, my next quilt will definitely be basted with spray, 505.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:18 PM

I have used 505 and sulky and found 505 less "stiff" Both were good. I lay the batting down first and spray that then put the backing on top, smooth out all the wrinkles and flip over. Then spray the batting again and smooth out the top. This of course only works on small quilts but I have a thing for wrinkles.I like the idea of foam squares in the garage-no wind!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:59 PM

The last one I sprayed was with Elmers Spray and I really like it. It is a very fine spray, no clumps. It has been 3 weeks since I sprayed it and it is still holding. Once it has dried you can pull it away and you will never know it was sprayed.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:37 PM

I hope the Elmers is specifically for temporarily holding fabric together and is water soluble. Haven't heard of Elmers making quilt basting spray.
Originally Posted by ThreadHead
The last one I sprayed was with Elmers Spray and I really like it. It is a very fine spray, no clumps. It has been 3 weeks since I sprayed it and it is still holding. Once it has dried you can pull it away and you will never know it was sprayed.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:43 PM

I spray baste my quilts on my king size bed covered with a big flannel sheet. The flannel keeps everything from slipping around. I put the batting down, position the backing over, fold batting back half way, spray the batting and smooth the backing down. Repeat for the other half, flip everything over, position the quilt top and repeat the whole process. I mostly use June Taylor, but have used Sullivans and 505. Spray very sparingly. I have found that some fabrics take to the spray better than others but it's best to spray lightly until you find out if you need more or not. With practice you can baste a big king size quilt in under an hour. Here's a link to one I posted a while back. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87591-1.htm
Old 06-27-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by leiladylei54
Spray basting....is that different than the spray adhesive???
Make sure it is for BASTING. Some spray adhesives are permanent and full of chemicals that will become part of the quilt! Check Joanns or your LQS.