Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique >

Applique

Applique

Old 05-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

I do it like Terri. I tried freezer paper but didn't like it. To each their own.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 PM

When I started quilting, my time was limited. I taught myself using heat and bond lite or wonder under, light weight. Its a process that I enjoy more than hand stitching. My hands hurt and I couldn't do all that I do if I had to do it by hand. I am retired now and time is still short since we are working on our old house. Doing fusible applique allows me to do more quilts in a limited amount of time.
But try several methods to see which one works for you.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:33 PM

[quote=foxxigrani]I have done the freezer paper and the needle turn, have not done anything with steam a seam, nor have I done any machine applique. I love the hand portion of applique, although I am not that good at it. Out of the two I like the freezer paper the best, its the easier of the two. But I am so shocked, I was thinking of using the iron on as a placer only. I thoght I was just out in left field with that thought. But was going to use it instead of basting everything. Thank you so much for telling me I am not stupid for thinking of doing that and that it works woo hoo.... I love to do applique and am even thinking of doing tops totally hand. The piecing and everything. Thats how much I like the hand sewing. Again anyone behind me lined up to check out my sanity???? I am afraid to look. :lol: :oops:

Thank you for helping me out.
Always glad to help the quilt addiction in any way I can!:)I forgot to say in my post that depending on the applique shape, I remove my freezer paper from the shape when I have sewn 3/4 of it down...then pull it out. It comes right out!:)On small pieces, I just remove it before sewing and it holds the shape great! And, no....nothing in quilting or thinking out of the box in quilting is ever stupid:)Only stopping sewing to cook or something might be!LOL Also, I too love hand applique and am working on 'When The Cold Wind Blows'...check it out!:)You will love it! Also check out of your library 'applique the piece of cake way' books..and, they are online too. Love their stuff too:)And, another new fun book (and she's online) is Belinda Phillips Applique book...can find the front of it on Barnes and Noble.
Best part of applique...it travels light and easy!:)I take mine everywhere! Skeat
Old 05-04-2009, 06:11 AM

Oh thank you for saying that. I was beginning to doubt my sanity. But then everyone I know doubts it too. :lol: Anyway I keep telling myself go check out the library, but around here its harder to get to library than it is to hit every store and mall in one day. Its like a maze to get there. I know I know, excuses. Will look on internet tho, as you suggested. Thank you so much for all the encouragement.

Rita
Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 AM

I do mainly needle turn applique . I love it !

The first one I did was "Welcome to the North pole . The book shows how to do it all and very easy instructions. Beckey Goldsmith and Anita Jenkins do a great job of explining this type of applique. You can create a small wall hanging instead of doing the enitre quilt . It is fun to pick from the blocks and create a nice small wall hanging. I did the big one .

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Wel.../9781564771940

" Welcome to the North Pole "
[ATTACH=CONFIG]30850[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-30850.jpe
Views:	20
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	30850  
Old 05-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Banned

if you like the needle turn look but don't want to do it by hand you can use fusible interfacing.

sew your shapes right side to the fusible side of the interfacing. then snip the interfacing and turn the right sides out. now you can fuse it to your background fabric and you'll have the needle turned look without all the hand work.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

I have four appique books and my favorite is, " Applique, The basics and Beyond" by janet Pittman. It is a beautiful hard cover, spiral bound book that is the best book I ever read on the subject. It covers everything in such wonderful pictures and instructions.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM

Mary L....that is awesome!!I love it and will be calling my Barnes soon!! Thanks for the picture! Skeat
Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 PM

Mary L....that is awesome!!I love it and will be calling my Barnes soon!! Thanks for the picture! Skeat
Thank You !!!

It is a lot of fun to do !!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did !
Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 AM

I love Mary's North pole quilt! Amazon has it for much less. Amazon also has some good applique books at reasonable prices.
Di