Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a difference a different needle makes >

What a difference a different needle makes

What a difference a different needle makes

Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 AM

I searched for Microtex Metallic Needles and find they come in many sizes. Which is the best?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 PM

This is a very interesting thread!

I took a FMQ class with Shirley Stutz and she recommended using a size 90 jeans needle. She had us do a very interesting exercise where we poked a quilt sandwich sample with different sewing machine needles. There is a huge difference in how well different needles pierce the sandwich. The universal needle was one of the dullest we tried. Try this exercise yourself and I bet you will be suprised at the differences. Now I use a 90 jeans for quilting and a quilting needle which is a sharp for piecing. This has really helped me.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by mucky
I searched for Microtex Metallic Needles and find they come in many sizes. Which is the best?
I would try a 90 and see how that works.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:43 PM

a 90 sharp or universal?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:04 PM

a 90 sharp
Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Banned

I found this video by Dr. Bob of Superior Thread quite informative where he talks about the "Magic Needle." In it he also says the metallic needle and the topstitch needle are the same needle. The video is not very long and I'd be interested to hear your comments.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/video...titch-needles/

Also, have any of you used Superior Threads? I cannot find any locally.

GrandPa
Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 PM

Interesting subject matter. Nancy's Notions was showcasing the differences in needles just today, or it may be on her blog. She was specifically talking about quilting needles and how important it was to use the correct needle for the project.

So my question is: Does anyone here use Quilting needles? I did purchase a couple of pkgs. when I re ordered needles. I also have Microtext, Titanium and Metallica needles. Everyone seems to be pretty excited about the Microtext... so are they better than a Quilting needle??? Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:
Old 06-30-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by sewtruterry
Sorry in advance regarding the length of this post but this is something that I deal with on a daily basis with a lot of people.

The most important issue when selecting needles is to know what brand your machine uses. Your dealer should be able to help you on that one. If you do not have the right brand of needle for your machine you will have problems some may be small others may be big. The next issue is making sure when starting any FMQ is to insert a fresh needle. Then if you start out with the lowest number possible for your project and you are experiencing thread breakage check your thread path first to make sure nothing is getting caught where it shouldn't. Then change the needle and if that doesn't help go to a larger eye needle. If you are still getting thread breakage the thread could be the culprit. It may be too old, it could have been stored wrong, or it may be the wrong kind of thread for the batting or the fabric. I have seen a lot of quilters try to use all cotton thread with polyester batting. The batting acts like sand paper and shreds the thread. At that point either put up with the problem by constantly rethreading or change to another type of thread of the same color. Also when FMQ and you are changing directions like a corner or a circle the more drastic the change in direction the slower your hands need to go. in fact hovering for a split second on the corner will give you a nicer corner. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by union lady
Originally Posted by Elisabethann
I've been practicing FMQ and was getting frustrated. I couldn't get my tension right and the thread kept breaking and the stitches just didn't look right. Then I remembered in a class I took with Judy Irish she said she only uses Microtex metalic needles. For everything, not just FMQ. So, I changed needles and poof... all my problems were gone :) Stitches are more consistant, thread doesn't break and tension is good!

Off to have some more FMQ fun :)
I know this is a basic question for you but how do you know what needle to use in your machine. Do you use a different needle for piecing and one for applique? How about FMQ? I look at the needles and really need some direction.

Thanks a bunch.

Diane
Thank you so very much. I didn't even know most of what you said so you have been a huge help.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 AM

I had trouble with my varigated thread shredding. Someone on this board told me to use a metallic needle, and wha-laa!!, problem fixed! I love this board. So many smart people.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
If you're serious about learning about needles for different threads and jobs, check out this book. It's been in my reference files for years and was used daily in my former shop.

http://pointwelltakenbook.com/

Jan Bennett-Collier
Thanks for the book tip! I've ordered it and will use it religiously. I'm tired of guessing and getting bad info from others who mean well.