Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Difference "good" fabric makes >

Difference "good" fabric makes

Difference "good" fabric makes

Old 11-09-2010, 06:37 AM

I have heard alot of discussions on here about fabric. I can't seem to find any specific reasons that "good" fabric is better.

Other than "feeling" different why due you like to work with "good" fabric over say "average" fabric. Top LQS vers say Hancock/joanns level.

Dose it fray less, easier to match points, blocks don't distort as much, quilt easier..... Or is it all just about feeling softer without much of a functional "quilting" difference?

Just a newby being curious.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:51 AM

It is one of those things that you just realize over time, I think. For years I always bought the cheapest I could find. But when I gradually started using brand name fabrics I noticed small things - like less disortion, way less fraying, more ease in the cutting and piecing. The feel of the fabric is more substantial, and you can rarely see through it! I don't hand quilt, so cannot comment on that aspect.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Administrator

http://patsloan.typepad.com/quiltershome/fabricq.html

http://www.camplebanon.org/uploads/f...tips%20pdf.pdf

http://portal.lizlink.com/c/document...e=DLFE-413.pdf

http://www.patchwork-and-quilting.co...tml#collecting
Old 11-09-2010, 06:55 AM

The better quality fabric will last longer. The quilt will stay in better shape longer and its colors will stay truer.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:10 AM

Putting price and place of purchase aside one has to judge the fabric itself. I try to watch the thread count and if it frays a bunch and one can see through the fabric when held up to a light or window it will not wear well. Yes, I do this when purchasing fabric. I do wonder about some fabrics that are quite stiff, even after washing and drying. They may seem solid but again watch the thread count.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 AM

Personally, I find the better fabrics have truer color and don't bleed as bad. I just feel like they would wear better
Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
It is one of those things that you just realize over time, I think. For years I always bought the cheapest I could find. But when I gradually started using brand name fabrics I noticed small things - like less disortion, way less fraying, more ease in the cutting and piecing. The feel of the fabric is more substantial, and you can rarely see through it! I don't hand quilt, so cannot comment on that aspect.
DITTO!!! :thumbup:
Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

we have a (new) joannes; this past year...they charge just as much and a little more than our lqs...and the quality of product is half...and that's being generous. I have been sewing for over 40 years so have used tons of different fabrics...some are alot nicer to work with, some hold up better than others, some colors/prints are truer. it takes experience to pick out good quality fabrics, but i do believe you should always purchase the best quality you can afford. the better the materials going into a project the better the project is going to be. it is the same with everything, not just quilting. if your contractor goes to the (discount store) for the materials to build you a new deck...it will need to be replaced in a couple years; if he purchased quality materials it will last as long as the house. don't skimp on quality just because it's your hobby.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:42 AM

Interesting. I use primarily men's shirts bought at thrift stores for $4 all you can get in a bag. I notice a big difference in the quality of the fabric. You are so right about the see through.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:11 AM

I am a good fabric convert. At first I used what I could afford no matter what the quilt was destined for.
Then I tried to make a complicated star/flying geese pattern that used 1 1/2" half square triangles. Whew!
The cheap fabric stretched and slipped and was generally a Pain in the a**. When ripping out seams, I most often ripped the fabric.
The good fabric stayed put, sewed beautifully, and those are the seams that have stood up. I've had to repair some seams, and yes, they're the ones with cheap fabric.
$$ isn't always the point. You can tell how a fabric is going to behave if you handle it in the store, pull it along the bias - if it moves more than a tiny bit - pass on it.