Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all Quilters, need help please! >

Calling all Quilters, need help please!

Calling all Quilters, need help please!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Here is a picture of what I did with uneven sizes. My blocks are all the same size. I just added a different width around the t-shirt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-219679.jpe
Views:	94
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	219685  
Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 AM

I would use the two small one in the center with a narrow sashing, join them into one block. You might even incoporate some pictures of your daughter wearing some of the T-Shirts. As for the blocks, just add sashing to make your blocks the same size. I too am going to make a T-Shirt quilt of all my Betty Boop shirts, hopefully soon.
straw.com/quilting/articles/teequilts.html has an article on how to place /make a T-Shirt quilt.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:09 AM

Just add a little border around the smaller ones to make them fit into the scheme. Then sash them all. And yes, do add a stabilizer to the T-shirt fabrics. Homespun, GOOD job GF!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:35 AM

The only suggestion I could add is that you could make one horizontal strip from the three in the middle that are shorter if this would give you a better arrangement of the blocks. I have a 12 1/1 inch square ruler and I use it to trim all the blocks that are larger but I do not cut off any of the design so you might have bigger blocks. In fact my method is to cut the squares from the interfacing and then pin them to the back of the shirt front and adjust them to center the design. Press them on and then trim off the excess of the knit fabric.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 AM

I would decide on the size you want the finished block size to be and then add boarders to each one to make it that size. Some may have a 1 1/2" board & others might be 3" but when you sew the rows together they would be the same size blocks.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:18 AM

I made my husband a quilt like this and put favorite colors in beween also found different fabrics with favorite foods or hobbies. The favorites were cut to fit inbetween.
Have fun,
Rachel
Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ghetohound
Hello everyone,

This is my second quilt and i'm running into an issue. I will be as short as possible.

I'm making a t-shirt quilt for my daughter. I have already cut all the shirts and the problem i'm running into is that some of her shirts were very small in the width and others were larger. I cut all the shirts (width) as large as possible and left the length on all of them.

The smallest is 13 inches, the largest is 16. Each shirt has at least 1/2 inch on each side (pattern to pattern). I plan on using sashing in between the rows, but for some reason I can't wrap my brain around this.

Am I doing this right?

Anyone???
Do you have it in the order you would like it? If so after stabelizing start adding sashing ,the out side rows could be the same and the center could have the diferent sizes, making sure they are all the same lingth,Then sew together witn lingth wise sashing and borders.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:47 AM

use 2 tshirts in one block or put a strip of fabric related to the tshirt to make the block the right size, I have done many tshirts quilt, I use butcher paper on the back of the block to stabilize until I join the blocks to the sashing. See the photos of 2 of the quilts I made for my daughters
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-219757.jpe
Views:	121
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	219763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-219758.jpe
Views:	137
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	219764  
Old 07-02-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM
Definitely on the right track, will be very nice momento!

All you need are 'coping' strips - think of these as frames for the squares you have for the t-shirts - for the big t-shirts, you may not need any; for the smaller ones, add a strip of fabric to the top and bottom and/or sides, to make it the same size as your bigger blocks.

Your target, likely, is to make all the blocks the same size - by adding strips to the smaller blocks. You could do the strips just boxing in the t-shirt, or log-cabin style, or attic-window style.

Hope this helps!
Linda
I like that -- coping strips.

I do a lot of work with photographs on fabric and I measured the smallest and largest block and sewed strips around all the blocks and trimmed so the largest block had a 1" border and the smaller ones were wider. I used all the same color and added some sashing and setting squares between that was a different color. I worked well.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:04 AM

Your quilt will be beautiful, regardless is every single piece is the same size. Here's an idea. My quilting group just finished a quilt that had cross stitch squares, made at different times during the daughters' lifetime. A quilter took them home with her and brought pack ALL squares the same size. She had "framed" each cross stiched square with a matching fabric and then made all the blocks the same size. We all think it is just beautiful. I will try to post a picture when it is bound. We took it off the frames this week! Exctement!