Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you decide what to make next? >

How do you decide what to make next?

How do you decide what to make next?

Old 07-02-2011, 05:41 PM

Right now I am in a slump, but normally I just start whatever I want to work on. Most of the time I have at least a couple in the works. Now I am completely caught up.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:59 PM

I usually have the next 2-3 quilts planned out....getting them done will depend on the budget....lol....when I finally get all the fabrics, then it seems to be a race to see how fast I can get it all pieced! In the meantime, I can usually scrounge up enuf scraps to do a lap quilt for charity.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:12 PM

I decided like so many others to use up my scraps. While setting the plates for my dresdens I actually organized all the different sized squares I already had cut.
Soooo, I came upon some squares set together for a quilt of a"Steelers" theme. I'm not a Steelers fan, nothing against them, actually I hardly watch football at all. I work with a guy who is a big fan so I'm trying to use the rest of that fabric, I'm not sure what size the quilt will end up being.
In the meantime, my dresdin plate is waiting and calling my name.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:20 PM

I took a class for a few years so I was always working on something for class. Got bored after a few years as they worked way to slow a pace for me. Started just buying books that had a quilt I loved and it just spun out of control from there! Not to mention I have made quilts for three new grandchildren, one great niece, every family member on my and my husband's side of the family, two old friends from high school, my best friend and now one for her daughter's wedding gift. I currently have the fabric for at least 12 projects that I WANT to do if I wasn't constantly sidetracked by other people asking me to do a new project for them. I just can't seem to say no when people are stroking my ego by how much they love my work and want me to make them one of my quilts. Sometimes doing good work can be a curse when you can't say no!! Now my church want's me to make 20 baby quilts that they can present as gifts to all the new babies born to our church members. Every time I start my own project, inevitably my mother in law will call and tell me she needs new place mats or a new table runner and then she wanted a Red Hatter's Society Wall Hanging. It never ends! I haven't done a quilt for myself in over a year. Last Christmas, I made 7 Christmas throw quilts for every one of my family. Of course I picked one with Christmas trees, that had over 45 hand sewn ornaments on 6 trees per quilt. (UGH! What WAS I thinking???) They LOVED them, but it became like a sweat shop in my house trying to get them all done in time.

And in the middle of all this, now my husband decided it was time to sell our house and move back to Chicago from Springfield, Illinois (350 miles away) and I had 2 weeks and 78 tasks on the "to do" list. He works in Chicago for 1 1/2 years now and the driving back and forth is too much. I just had neck surgery 6 weeks ago and am having lower back surgery in 6 more weeks and had a mountain of work to do without him here to help. Thank God for my friends at church!! Without them I would be dead on the floor! Hubby is finally home this weekend and house will be on the market July 5th. Then I can FINALLY get back to my quilting projects that haven't been touched in over two weeks now.

I am teaching my best friend's 10 year old daughter how to make a quilt and she wants to enter it in a quilt show soon. We have to have it done by an August 15th deadline for submission. And, I have to get her sister's wedding quilt done and her wedding is only two weeks away. So Tuesday morning, it's back to the grind! So, that's my sad story!
Old 07-03-2011, 04:36 AM

I have bucket list of quilts that I want to make in my head and each has a specific look. When the fabric trends come around, I purchase and kit. Then when I am ready for something new, I look in the bin. I have about 5 Wips and the same number of kits waiting for me. I don't quilt for personal events as I deal with the deadline thing too much on the business side of life. Most quilts are a journey and I'm ok to take my time and enjoy the ride.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by laughingquilter
I've usually got a due date for projects I'm doing for gifts. In between the "have to's" I squeeze in the "want to's" and it's kind of a "whatever I'm in the mood for" process to choose those....
I couldn't have said this better myself! Besides my ongoing projects whenever I see a cool new (to me) pattern I think about how I can work it into the line up. I'm going to a Christmas in July workshop in 2 weeks and know I'll have lots more on my to do list then!
Old 07-03-2011, 05:44 AM

Since I don't make things for other people, but rather gift them if and when I finished, I'm free to go in whatever direction I want. I have a list of ongoing projects, ideas, UFOs, you name it. I work on whatever the mood feels like and if I really want something totally new I have a computer widget that will randomly match up fabric stash collections I've defined, like cats or coffee or stonehenge and patterns/blocks I'd like to try like NY beauty, circles etc. I hit a key and it will spit out random matches that give me a point to start thinking about a new project.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:47 AM

I always have a request list that has due dates with it. Then, in between, I get excited for something with no deadline and quick, usually a project, like purses, placemats...and do those while taking a break from the list. Wouldn't want it to feel like actual work!
I do other quilts for my house too. I just work on them when I feel like it.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:52 AM

My "next" changes daily. The most important "next" is what my students are doing. If it's something new to me then that becomes my "next". I love it when they push me.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:05 PM

I have several quilts I want to make. Have the fabric and patterns. I work on small projects also in between and sometimes while I am piecing a quilt. There are so many I want to make and I have several kits I have purchased. So little time I guess. I am however getting several of my bindings on during the Casey Anthony trial. :)