Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If only they would have stood... >

If only they would have stood...

If only they would have stood...

Old 07-02-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by GreatStarter
I am so sorry for the loss of your wonderful daughter. And I am ashamed that you two were the only ones to stand. I want you to know that if I had been in that theatre I would have stood also.

Kat
Those are my exact same sentiments! I am proud that you did the right thing, but sad that our nation's citizens are so lacking in national pride. You gave up a daughter for this great country, and people should do more to honor all our heros - whether fallen or not. My heart goes out to you on this Independence Day weekend.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by tammy cosper
When my husband and I go on the military base sometimes we are there when they do "Colors". Those of you who have been military or are military know what I'm talking about. And it always empresses me to NO END how when the music starts. Everyone and I do mean EVERYONE stands still,stops what they are doing and salutes! One time this happened to us and it was snowing so hard outside. But still EVERYONE stopped what they were doing and saluted. Some people even got out of their cars and saluted. It's like time just stops for a little bit.
This is a very powerful thing to experience.And most of the time it leaves me and my husband emotional. I wish everyone could experience that.
Being a military wife and going on base often, when they do the "colors" is something we all stop and pay respect. Some civilians don't even know that this happens on all military bases. Here, at Randolph AFB, TX they also play reville at 6:30AM and at 10PM they play Taps. The Taps always brings tears to my eyes. Also, when a soldiers body is brought back to RAFB , from this war, everyone lines the streets to pay their respect. It is a sight to behold to see everybody lining the main street.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:27 AM

I find it incredibly sad that in this day and age we have so few who will remove their hats, place their hand over their hearts or even stand to honor our flag and our country. It is not as though our youngsters are growing up in a time when there is no war. I guess they just don't make the connection between our servicemen and women fighting for OUR freedom since the wars are not on our own soil. I would have stood with you with tears running down my face. I sit here with tears in my eyes right now at the thought and thank you from the bottom of my heart for the ultimate sacrifice your daughter made in defending our rights. <HUGS>
Old 07-03-2011, 12:44 PM

I ALWAYS stand!! My American pride would not let me stay seated! Alas, people today have not been taught about American Pride; in the flag or other things.

I am so sorry you lost your daughter, but I truly, with all my heart, thank her and you! May God Bless.

delma
Old 07-03-2011, 05:02 PM

I spent the last week at the beach with family. On three nights there were "concerts" at the bandstand. One night a Navy band played, one night an Army band played, and the last night an Air Force band played. All three nights everyone stood when they played the National Anthem but people seemed to have forgotten that they should take off their hats and put their hands over their hearts. I could hardly hold back the tears. The lack of patriotism in our country distresses me...a lot.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:15 AM

My sadness for your loss. My daughter is also Navy. I would have said something...although the two of you standing probably spoke loud and clear!