Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have family or friends that are or were in the military? >

Do you have family or friends that are or were in the military?

Do you have family or friends that are or were in the military?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
My DH Glen was in Viet Nam for 2 yrs. He was in a jeep that was blown up and he was in a body cast for several weeks. He came home on medical leave and as soon as he could he went back again. He has seen such terrible things in his service to his country and now he lives with a disability.

My dad was in the Navy during the Korean war. My mom's brothers were in the Navy. 3 of them all at the same time. At one point they were all stationed in Hawaii. One brother made the navy his carreer.

I should have posted this yesterday but didn't think of it then! LOL

I would love to hear how the military has impacted your life. Of course our lives are impacted on a daily struggle as my DH also has PTSD and deals with paranoia all the time.
MY DAD WAS IN WW II,MY UNCLES ALSO ONE UNCLE WAS IN THE NAVY AND THE AIRFORCE. 1 UNCLE IN VIETNAM AND AS POW FOR A LOOOOG TIME HIS MOTHER OR FATHER DIDN'T RECONIZE HIM WHEN HE DID COME HOME 2NEPHEWS IN THE WAR THATS GOING ON NOW.MAY GOD HELP THEM AND US TO KEEP THIS COUNTRY FREE .
Old 07-06-2011, 02:52 PM

My father served 28 years in the army starting as a National Guard recruit at 15 (He lied about his age)was called on activre duty after Pearl Harbor. Retired as a Lt. Col. in the Corps of Engineers. He served in WWII in the Pacific, was on active duty during Korea (We left Japan 6 weeks before the Korean War broke out, he retired in 1965 when his next duty station was going to be Vietbam. He was a construction engineer. He was approached in 1980 about returning to active duty, but was deferred as he was working for a defense contractor. He passed away in 1999 as a result of an auto accident. He was buried with full military honors in our family plot in Louisiana. I spent my entire life as a military dependent.Many our family served in WWII. Very few served after that time, as we have mostly girls decendents.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM

dh marine fighter pilot

father in law, marine who saw service on guam & iwo jima

uncle-navy viet nam
uncle army viet nam

godson, army currently on his third deployment to afghanistan...

our thanks & prayers for all those who are serving, or have served.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Pat's draft number was 12 and while I still don't get what that really means, he decided to take charge of his own future and joined the Air Force. (He told his mom over dinner that night: Oh by the way, I joined the AF, please pass the mashed potatoes.)

He ended up closing bases in Thailand and on one mission the helicopter he was in was shot down. That might explain why he doesn't like flying. We met when he was stationed in Germany and he decided that a military career was not for him (gosh, he had such a bad attitude at that time).

When we came to CA, he decided to join the AF Reserves and did his duty for many years. He retired with 27 years at Master Sargeant level. I'm proud of him.

On my German side, I know that Grandpa was enlisted. (He was supposed to join the SS but declined which was a gutsy thing to do.) He ended up driving ambulance in Italy and later in Russia. His anti-Hitler beliefs (and apparently trusting the wrong people) got him turned in and he was a prisoner in Dachau at the tail end of the war. I don't know the whole story (he never talked about it) but he managed to get escape when the Americans liberated the camp. I'm proud of him too.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:40 PM

My dad was in WWII.He was in the army.
My husband was in the navy and retired after serving 30 yrs.
My husbands brother was in the army.
I had four brothers in the army.
I had lots of nephews and nieces in the military. Airforce and army I believe. Still have great nephews in the army.
My son was in the army. He was deployed to Iraq and killed in 07 just four days before his 23rd birthday.
I am proud of them all!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by debbieoh
My hubby was in the USMC and was also in Nam and returned to be treated horribly.

My nephew is in the Army . he parachuted in Iraq day one of the war, also was in Afganstain, and is again in Iraq again Now. He's been treated wonderfully which is so so great. Times sure have changed.

I am very very proud of both of them and every service person no matter where they served and when
PLEASE, let that hubby of yours know tht there are some of us that still think of all who served earlier for us..and they are also thought of often...just give him my thanks for all he did for us.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:38 PM

My Grandfather is 98 and he was in WWII. He also fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He was in two different Armies during that time in Europe. He never kept any of his military things through the years so when he came to live with us I took the opportunity to learn all I could. I learned the Army would replace his medals and along the way got so much more. Here is what I put together for him and gave it as a gift on his 96th Birthday.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-222025.jpe
Views:	51
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	222031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-222030.jpe
Views:	50
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	222036  
Old 07-06-2011, 04:40 PM

My husband, has 24 years in the Marine Corps, and I have a grandson that wants to follow in Papa foot steps....It was a hard road, and I'm glad it's over with... He retired June 2005
Old 07-06-2011, 06:00 PM

I can only start with my Dad, not sure of other before.
Dad 22 years Air Force
2 younger sisters and 1 brother Air Force
BIL Air Force 22 years
2 sons Army currently serving
FIL Navy
Foster Daughter in reserves going to collage, will need to do active duty at some point, before or after medical school.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:07 PM

paternal GF in the swedish army, before the 1900s.
FIL, Greatuncle, both in WWI.
father in WW2, uncle in WW2. BILs, SIL also
WW2.
BIL in korea. cousin an air force pilot during the cold war,
another cousin a navy man.
nephew in vietnam,
hubby in navy during cuban missle crisis.
stepdaughter in navy in gulf war. stepson in navy as well.

lost two friends in vietnam, and still have dreams about them.

it is the "rent" we pay to live in a free country, and i love and appreciate those who pay that rent so dearly for us.