Pansy KAleidoscope Quilt Top >

Pansy KAleidoscope Quilt Top

Pansy KAleidoscope Quilt Top

Old 05-10-2009, 12:49 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Originally Posted by Grandma Cindy
WOW - amazing, it looks so very time consuming...
How about a bunch of us buying a suitcase each full of great fabrics and meeting in France for her to give us lessons, room and board in exchange for the fabric we bring in the extra suitcases. Air fare isn't to bad these days...
Can I come to please, I would love for someone to show me, much more fun to chat and see how it is done. I do get the idea but I just like the idea of meeting you all

elle
You'd be more than welcome, Elle - pick up Izy on your way! :D

K x
Old 05-13-2009, 06:06 AM

Love the quilt and I agree the border should be something BRIGHT!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 AM

Kx...

I applaud that you even tried the technique! I've gotten the book a couple of times from the library and just haven't been able to digest it, it seems so difficult and I am more of a 'visual' learner than learning by reading. Guess I will have to take a class.

Your quilt is delightful, light, airy and crisp. You say that you aren't completely happy with it...I'm thinking that maybe because of the white background. All the photos in the book used fabric with dark backgrounds. So you are merely being influenced by the book's photos. You have created something original. Rejoice!

warm quilt hugs, sue
Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 AM

All of your quilts are absolutely beautiful. I've been wanting to try that method for a long time but always get hung up on selecting fabric due to a couple "failed starts" in the past. Thanks for posting pictures of the original fabrics you used as it has helped me a lot in getting a better idea of what to look for.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I have done a 3" red tone on tone border then 8" of the original fabric with red corner blocks appliquéd with kaleidoscope hexs I had left over - I've just got the last border to sew on then I'll post a pic.

K x
Old 05-13-2009, 06:59 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wraez
Kx...

I applaud that you even tried the technique! I've gotten the book a couple of times from the library and just haven't been able to digest it, it seems so difficult and I am more of a 'visual' learner than learning by reading. Guess I will have to take a class.

Your quilt is delightful, light, airy and crisp. You say that you aren't completely happy with it...I'm thinking that maybe because of the white background. All the photos in the book used fabric with dark backgrounds. So you are merely being influenced by the book's photos. You have created something original. Rejoice!

warm quilt hugs, sue
Thank you Sue, that's such a nice thing to say and I must say, I do like it better with it's dark red frame! And I do encourage you to give it a go - I can't wait for the doggy fabric I ordered to come so I can start the next one! Hugs back!

K x
Old 05-13-2009, 07:01 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Nancy, thanks! That's what fascinates me - how a fabric can be completely deconstructed and turned into something else, which is why I was a bit dissappointed with my pansies. But I am learning to love it for what it is and will hope for a more 'authentic' effect with the next one!

K x
Old 05-13-2009, 07:35 AM

That is so beautiful! How long did it take you?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CathyOh
That is so beautiful! How long did it take you?
Thank you - it's hard to say, not that long, I think an evening to cut everything out, and three few hour sessions to piece. A few days on the design wall, rearranging the hexs and yesterday evening I nearly finished the borders. Then I'll hand quilt it - that will be a few weeks of evenings!

K x
Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 AM

wow...beautiful!