Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Just practicing my mistakes"?? My sorry tale of free motion quilting >

"Just practicing my mistakes"?? My sorry tale of free motion quilting

"Just practicing my mistakes"?? My sorry tale of free motion quilting

Old 07-10-2011, 03:08 AM

After checking out your purchase, I think that possibly, you went for your doctorate before you got your plain ol' standard degree. Those designs look daunting, to say the least. Draw yourself out some easy swirls on a sandwich and try that, then progress from there. I sure bleed for you as I have struggled with FMQ and probably always will, and I don't have much time left to get-it either, but I do the best I can and let it go at that. No sense beating a old dead grandma, I will never be a Charisma, but I forge ahead the best I can. So, I assume that you are much younger and you just keep trying and eventually, you will progress to acceptable and maybe even to "wow".
Old 07-10-2011, 03:21 AM

Half of your problems may be eliminated if you bought a single hole plate for your machine. All the best with your practice...it does work...
Old 07-10-2011, 03:43 AM

Yesterday, I decided I wanted to fmq a holly leaf onto one of the tree skirts I made. Having never fmq before or even seen it done, I pulled out a scrap piece of material and traced my design onto it. I got out the foot and everything and just started, not knowing a thing about what I was doing but my motto when sewing is just go with it. Well, after 2 failed attempts, I figured I could just hand quilt it in, after all, it was a small leaf. But you've inspired me to try it again, so I did my research this time and found a 4 part toutorial on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A3iyCtw

I've only watched the first one, but learned my first mistake was that my feed dogs were up (ooops!) hope it will help you! But you've inspired me to try it again, this time with feed dogs down, and it sorta looks like a leaf this time!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
Yesterday, I decided I wanted to fmq a holly leaf onto one of the tree skirts I made. Having never fmq before or even seen it done, I pulled out a scrap piece of material and traced my design onto it. I got out the foot and everything and just started, not knowing a thing about what I was doing but my motto when sewing is just go with it. Well, after 2 failed attempts, I figured I could just hand quilt it in, after all, it was a small leaf. But you've inspired me to try it again, so I did my research this time and found a 4 part toutorial on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A3iyCtw

I've only watched the first one, but learned my first mistake was that my feed dogs were up (ooops!) hope it will help you! But you've inspired me to try it again, this time with feed dogs down, and it sorta looks like a leaf this time!
great tut thanks for sharing
Old 07-10-2011, 03:58 AM

I was doing similiar practices, then I came across this website:

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/freemotionfoot.htm

Please watch and learn how to modify your darning foot. I modified my foot and I am almost a pro at meandering within about 20 minutes of practice. Continue watching her quilting videos and you'll be a happy free motion quilter in a short amount of time with jumping joy!!! The slider for your sewing machine is very helpful and will stop your material from stopping or hooking on your machine and quilter's gloves that fit help also. Start with a new needle and sometimes setting your machine to a slower speed is helpful. Experiment with little or no tension. Good luck!!!
Swap
Old 07-10-2011, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

All great suggestions - did I miss any except the last one from Swap about changing the needle? Maybe to a different type? I have seen and heard about using sharps, quilting needles, etc. in different sizes? Maybe that will help in addition to everything else. You will know that "sweet spot" when your hands and machine speed are just about right. I know it, but, can't always make it happen!!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:41 AM

I'm sorry, but I am having trouble typing through the tears in my eyes from laughing so hard!!!! You sound like me and my feeble attempts at machine quilting and FMQ. I finally decided I would quilt on my embroidery machine. After playing with hoops, designs, water soluble stabilizer, etc. I had no better success than you. Well, I ended up doing you one better. Instead of spending $$$ on lined paper to practice on, I bought a long arm quilting machine. I got it just before Easter, and I have now graduated to a more controlled meander. As far as the fancy designs, I see none of those in MY quilting future. I even managed to make a curlique in my squiggles that is actually not too bad. So keep up the good work! And keep your sense of humor about it. After all isn't quilting supposed to be fun :!: :?: :roll: :lol: :?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:05 AM

First, I would urge you to consider that your machine may be out of adjustment. Let's eliminate that as a possibility first.
Go back to square one:
1) Un-thread the machine, both top & bobbin.
1a) Remove the needle plate and clean out all the lint that's in there. Use a small artist paint brush to help you.
1b) Oil your machine, following the directions in your manual. Use only sewing machine or Tri flow oil.
DO NOT use 3 in one, WD 40 or the like.
2) Put in a new needle 90/14 size. Make sure it is put in properly. Consult your manual if you do not know which direction the flat side of your needle faces.
3) Wind a bobbin with the same thread as you are using in the top. Use a good quality all purpose thread for practice. Make sure you have the right bobbin for your machine.
4) Re-thread the machine. Be sure your presser foot is in the UP position for threading.
4) Make sure you are using the single hole needle plate if you have one and that your needle is positioned exactly over it.
5) Using your straight stitch foot, feed dogs UP, and 2 layers of cotton fabric, sew a few lines of straight stitches at 12 stitches per inch.
6) Adjust your tension so that it looks perfect with no puckers. (Be sure your presser foot is DOWN whenever you adjust your tension.)If your fabric puckers, loosen the pressure on the presser foot (if your machine has this adjustment).
Number your lines of stitches and make notes of any changes you make. Only change one thing at a time.

If you cannot get the tension right at this point, then a service call is in your future.

Once the tension is properly balanced for straight stitching, make a small practice sample sandwich about 12 inches square. Hand baste in rows about 2-3 inches apart. Baste a grid onto this piece.

Using a pencil or marker of your choice, draw lines about 1 inch apart. Using each foot you have, starting with your SS foot, stitch on the lines. Make adjustments as necessary to get the best straight lines you can. Make one adjustment at a time and make notes as before. Do this with each foot that you have: straight stitch, zipper, SID foot, quarter inch foot, and finally, darning foot.

Make more than one sample if you need to. Be sure to make accurate notes. Keep your samples and notes handy for reference.

Now, using the foot that gave you the best results in your test, practice stitching a grid on a practice sample.

When you are satisfied with these results, go to Leah Day's website for more free motion tutorials. Her website is free, and you can watch videos all day.

I'd also suggest practicing free motion with paper and an un-threaded machine.

These are all exercises that I teach in my machine quilting classes. If you can find a class close to you, that would really open you up.
Best of luck,
Stephanie
Old 07-10-2011, 05:13 AM

I have practiced more on FMQ than anything in my life and cannot get it right. I am going to take a class in August to see what my problem is. I always get eyelashes and that is with new needle and fm foot. I just can't figure it out.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:47 AM

:thumbup: I got tickled just reading your post and agree that you are an excellent writer.

Are you sure you weren't spying on my first attempts at FMQ? I started quilting and FMQ this spring, so I am very green. Mom had hand quilted her machine pieced tops in the past, but I was new all the way around. Still have tons to learn. Won't live long enough to learn it all, but that's life.

I'm afraid I can't help a lot either, but with regards to the skillbuilder stuff you bought, ummmmm, I made my own. Okay, so it isn't necessarily as organized or as pretty as the bought stuff, but it worked for a newbie to FMQ.

I took some bleached/white muslin and a water soluable pen. When I saw a design I thought I wanted to FMQ eventually, I saved it do my computer. I've got a 17" laptop and some tracing paper. Opened the design in my computer (used the standard windows pgm), enlarged or shrank to fit and traced it off the screen using VERY LIGHT pressure and a soft felt tip so as not to screw up my screen.

If the design wasn't dark enough to see through the fabric, I went over it with a sharpie fine point marker on a hard surface (i.e, not on the computer screen!). Then I put the paper down, the fabric on top (right side up) and traced the design with the infamous blue water soluable pen.

Leave some space around the design and trace the next design on the fabric and so forth. When the fabric was "full" of designs, I layered it with batting and a backing (also used muslin). Played, swore and played some more. It's not perfect, but I got in a lot of practice, which reminds me I need to do some more practice swatches.

Originally, I wanted to order the skillbuilder fabric. I was going to order some for me and my mom (we're both new to FMQ, having just started this spring) and my mom informed me that she wasn't experienced enough yet to warrant the expense. Which made me wonder when would I be good enough to warrant that expense. Hmmmm. Do my own. If it didn't work, the blue pen would wash out and I could rip out stitches. Well, maybe except for the areas with 2000 stitches to the inch. Is it okay just to cut that out?

I have no doubt that the preprinted stuff is better, but for someone learning (me), the DIY version was a great proposition. I ended up drawing the design 3 times before I ever tried to quilt it. Not that some of the finished work looked like I'd ever seen it before.

I'll tell you what my problem is -- I want to fly when I can't even crawl yet. I enjoy watching Leah Day. She has tons of different free form stuff to practice. She also recommends using light thread on a dark background to practice. I got some chocolate fabric for that, then my mom "stole" it to use in a project. :lol:

I don't drink wine, but maybe my diet coke will do the trick? I've no doubt that you are persistent and determined enough that you will be a fantastic FMQ'er. When frustration eats at you and you're ready to chunk the entire thing in the wind, walk away. Do something else. You will not accomplish anything positive when you are frustrated beyond belief. Been there, done that.

Hugs,
M&M