Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Just practicing my mistakes"?? My sorry tale of free motion quilting >

"Just practicing my mistakes"?? My sorry tale of free motion quilting

"Just practicing my mistakes"?? My sorry tale of free motion quilting

Old 07-10-2011, 06:29 AM

I found that the batting I use makes a huge difference in my FMQ. If you are not using a flat batting like warm and white or warm and natural. (or the poly forms like the w&n) try changing to that and see if it helps. When I tried the " fluffy" poly stuff I had a lot more problems.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad
I found that the batting I use makes a huge difference in my FMQ. If you are not using a flat batting like warm and white or warm and natural. (or the poly forms like the w&n) try changing to that and see if it helps. When I tried the " fluffy" poly stuff I had a lot more problems.
You are so right. IMHO the high loft batting is perfect for quilts that are to be tied, but I really strongly dislike using it in FM quilting. Warm & Natural is my favorite.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:26 AM

I am struggling with beginning FMQ as well. You have lots of good advice. Your comment was chew gum & walk, well mz/mr quilter, you are trying to chew the whole pack, looking at your "classwork". ?? try loop de loops or meander for now?

I can manage a pretty meander pattern right off the bat, but so far either the upper or lower thread loops. I'm not quitting!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 AM

There are 2 parts to tensioning your machine. I spent a weekend tinkering with my singer 301 to get the tension right, and play with the attachments that I have.
Start by tensioning for a straight stitch with a double layer of fabric with the goal of having the upper tension at the middle mark by trialing different positions on the bobbin case screw. If you are cranking the upper tension all the way to the top, the bobbin case tension is too loose. Tighten that screw and sew another seam. Keep doing that with the feed dogs up until you have a balanced straight seam.
Then drop the feed dogs, put on the darning foot or FMQ foot and sew sample straight seams with your quilt sandwiches adjusting the upper tension only until you get a balanced seam again. Once you get that, then practice moving the sandwich around to get nice looking stitches by varying the speed of the machine and the speed of your hands. If you have a machine that can regulate your speed try different settings along the medium to fast speed.
One other thing that really helped me was to watch some of the you tube videos on FMQ, Leah Day and Patsy Thompson were the ones I looked for, and eventually I bought a bunch of DVD by patsy Thompson to practice with. Those, some chocolat and a glass of wine ( along with a few choice swear words) really helped.
I use my Bernina 430 for most of my FMQ since I can vary the speed setting. It's not perfect by any means, but I do end up with a useable quilt
:-)
Old 07-10-2011, 08:15 AM

There are 2 parts to tensioning your machine. I spent a weekend tinkering with my singer 301 to get the tension right, and play with the attachments that I have.
Start by tensioning for a straight stitch with a double layer of fabric with the goal of having the upper tension at the middle mark by trialing different positions on the bobbin case screw. If you are cranking the upper tension all the way to the top, the bobbin case tension is too loose. Tighten that screw and sew another seam. Keep doing that with the feed dogs up until you have a balanced straight seam.
Then drop the feed dogs, put on the darning foot or FMQ foot and sew sample straight seams with your quilt sandwiches adjusting the upper tension only until you get a balanced seam again. Once you get that, then practice moving the sandwich around to get nice looking stitches by varying the speed of the machine and the speed of your hands. If you have a machine that can regulate your speed try different settings along the medium to fast speed.
One other thing that really helped me was to watch some of the you tube videos on FMQ, Leah Day and Patsy Thompson were the ones I looked for, and eventually I bought a bunch of DVD by patsy Thompson to practice with. Those, some chocolat and a glass of wine ( along with a few choice swear words) really helped.
I use my Bernina 430 for most of my FMQ since I can vary the speed setting. It's not perfect by any means, but I do end up with a useable quilt
:-)
Old 07-10-2011, 08:32 AM

I just want to say I am in the same boat with you!! I've always thought of myself as fairly well coordinated, I can manage to pat my head and rub my tummy at the same time, but FMQ? Seems beyond me at this point. I'm going to try next what a friend told me, to take your finger and go over the pattern several times before you start - helps the brain have a sensory memory of the moves. I'll try anything at this point!! BUT---your skill as a writer is fabulous! Your clarity and your ability to get the point across was truly gifted - I hate to say I enjoyed your tale of woe, I didn't, but I did enjoy the writing!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:37 AM

Hi...I too am trying FMQ...and it is hard...I have got stippling sorted and am trying to move on but it is a huge learning curve.
Things that I've learnt though are...
1. Batting- definatly makes a huge difference, find the one that works best with you and your machine
2. Needles ..always use a new one
3. Dog feed DOWN
4. Thead...now heres an interesting one...can quilt easy with thinner thread...but go to something like King Tut and my machine hates it...tension becomes off, thread breaks etc....so try different threads with different needles
5. Patience...needs lots of it
6. Need to be alone in the house...so when it all goes really bad, no one can hear what I am calling my machine, my thread, my pattern, my room....my life...the universe etc.
7. Wine....to relax before, during and after your session!!
Good luck.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:43 AM

Oh, I so agree, writing is definitely in your future and quilting will be someday too!!! Hang in there!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:27 AM

Sorry, you talked about the stitch length-----with the feed
dogs down' and stitch length set to zero! You are playing too much with the tension----.

Hope this helps!

Lana
the Quilting Dreamer
Lansing, MI USA
Old 07-10-2011, 10:31 AM

:-) Deep breath. Deep breath. Let it out. Walk around the block. Stretch the arms, shoulders, and neck.

Okay.....now get back to it!

Seriously, I've never done it on a domestic machine but I KNOW that eventually you will come to a place of peace.