Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton VS polyester batting >

Cotton VS polyester batting

Cotton VS polyester batting

Old 07-12-2011, 07:01 AM

The Hobbs Polydown is wonderful for hand quilting! Love the feel of the quilts when it is used.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 AM

I have been using warm and natural, or dream green since I started back to quilting 2 years ago. But this past couple weeks, I've been making some lil twister Christmas wreaths for presents. I pulled out my scrap bag with the smaller pieces of batting, and I had one of the puffy pieces just perfect sin size for one of them. So I quilted them all, and I liked the puffy one the best. But not all the wallhangings I make or miniatures would look good with the fluffy, so I guess it's just what you like and what you are making.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
A dear friend asked me to make a queen sized quilt for him to give his wife for Christmas... but they prefer the "puffier" quilts. I have always used the Warn & White batting which is 100% cotton. It gives nice warmth but isn't "puffy" - in JoAnn's yesterday, I was looking at the "puffy" batting but it is 100% polyester. I was chatting with another quilter there and she said she didn't like the polyester because it doesn't hold up as well and down the road would start bunching up in the quilt. I also noticed it said "quilt 2" - 4 inches". I am going to do a simple block with embroidery in the center block and could STD along the sashing to accomplish the 2" - 4", but my question is - Is it possible to get "puffy" 100% cotton batt? Any suggestions welcome.
I HAVE ALWAYS USED POLYESTER FOR MY PUFFY QUILTS NEVER HAD A BUNCHING UP ON ME AND HAVE NOT QUILTED THEM REAL CLOSE EITHER.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:52 PM

I was just pondering this same question. I am thinking of not making any more quilts for a while with warm & Natural or the half and half batting . I do not really like the feel and the weight of those quilts, and I do have several I made. You cannot wrap yourself up in one like a nice puffy one. The first quilt I made 20 yrs ago, I used Wall Mart Fabric and the polyester batting and it is as pretty today as when I made it . I would think it is the matter of taste. The stiff are ice for wall hangings and place mats but other that that I am turning over to polyester .I prefer a light weight blanket to a heavy one. It is up to you it is your quilt .
Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM

I use Hobbs PolyDown when I hand quilt. Love it. I don't find it to beard and it is easier to quilt than 80/20. I can get smaller stitches. My machine quilted quilts I like 80/20. Just personal preference.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:02 PM

I too love the bamboo batting. I also use WW and Hobbs cotton batting. I like the flat look for my quilts. I really like hand quilted but don't do as many of those I used to because it takes too long. I machine quilt charity quilts and other smaller items. I never tie my quilts. I once received a gift of a quilt that was tied and it did bunch up when washed. Lots of store bought quilts bunch when washed.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bug Lady
Just my opinion.
I am a nurse and usually people sleep best with natural fibers. Polyester does not "breath" as well as natural fibers. Waking up during the night too hot or sweaty may possibly be fixed by changing bed linens to natural fibers.

That being said, if the quilt is for back of the sofa or wall hanging then poly is fine, but if the quilt is for sleeping under then I would recommend cotton.
Thank you!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bug Lady
Just my opinion.
I am a nurse and usually people sleep best with natural fibers. Polyester does not "breath" as well as natural fibers. Waking up during the night too hot or sweaty may possibly be fixed by changing bed linens to natural fibers.

That being said, if the quilt is for back of the sofa or wall hanging then poly is fine, but if the quilt is for sleeping under then I would recommend cotton.
This is one of the reasons that I like wool! It's also fluffier than cotton & doesn't melt. It also quilts up fine! Imagine if you were asleep when your house caught on fire. I try to only use natural fibers for bedding 'cause I wouldn't want my bedding melting on my skin. (My DS took a firefighter class & talked to me about this!)
Old 07-12-2011, 06:15 PM

I just went in and measured my quilt that my grandma made for my 5th birthday...still in use today..and it is tied every 6 inches..and it has poly batting in it. I know it is poly, because I did have to make two repairs on it. That quilt is 45 years old...
Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM

You can get the Hobbs batting at Connecting Threads
www.connectingthreads.com
They have the 80/20, the polydown, and wool. Sometimes there's a pretty good sale.

Last winter when I was looking for a lot of warmth I made a quilt using wool batting...nice and puffy and warm!

I've also used bamboo (actually a bamboo/cotton blend), 100% cotton (Dream Cotton), W&N...and for certain things the "flat" type of polyester (e.g., for table runners and handbags). I have noticed that if I use cheap poly batting (the puffy kind) it does flatten over time. I think I'll try the Hobbs Polydown next.