Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton VS polyester batting >

Cotton VS polyester batting

Cotton VS polyester batting

Old 07-11-2011, 07:09 AM

A dear friend asked me to make a queen sized quilt for him to give his wife for Christmas... but they prefer the "puffier" quilts. I have always used the Warn & White batting which is 100% cotton. It gives nice warmth but isn't "puffy" - in JoAnn's yesterday, I was looking at the "puffy" batting but it is 100% polyester. I was chatting with another quilter there and she said she didn't like the polyester because it doesn't hold up as well and down the road would start bunching up in the quilt. I also noticed it said "quilt 2" - 4 inches". I am going to do a simple block with embroidery in the center block and could STD along the sashing to accomplish the 2" - 4", but my question is - Is it possible to get "puffy" 100% cotton batt? Any suggestions welcome.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Re the lady who is saying it comes apart, chances are she has quilted it further apart than is appropriate for poly. As you mentioned, the poly has given you a recommended distance.

IMHO if your friends want puffy, poly is the way to go! Take a look at the thread I just started ... poly batting was used, and the quilting does show puffy, but not overpowering.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-136789-1.htm

There's a lot of other batting possibilities than cotton or poly, so I'll look to hear what others suggest.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 AM

I love "fluffy" quilts (poly inards). When I make quilts, I ask the receiver if they want "fluffy" or "flat" (cotton). Most choose "fluffy", probably cause of the terms I use. I also like poly cause it doesn't shrink and lasts forever.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Wool might be a good choice. But first I would ask your friend to show you an example of what he means by puffy. He may be thinking more of a comforter than of a quilt. Then show him one of your quilts quilted with W&W or W&N. He may decide he likes that look just fine. Sometimes people have one thing in mind, until they see something else...
Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 AM

I have used polyster batting for years and love it. It is light weight, warm, and puffy. I've never had any problem with bunching. But, not having a long arm machine, I tie my quilts usually at 5" intervals. So farther intervals might be a problem, Just don't know.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Banned

There must be puffyer cotton batting out there but oh what a problem to quilt close though that it would not shift in both use and washing. I don't know where the "advisor" in the store has been. That, to me is not an answer. She must have been quilting 12" apart on her polyester batting or used one that was not made without falling apart. Advice like you got in the store just makes me shake my head.

Cotton will flatten in time just laying on the bed. So the advice you got above about finding out what is meant by "puffy" is a good one. Puffy to you may be different than to him. Then if he wants real puffy consider the difficulty in quilting it if you do use one of the thicker battings which really have to be tied and not quilted.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned

When I first started quilting I only used poly batting,extra high loft to be exact.
However now I only use the poly batting if/when I make a kids quilt that is going to be drug around.

My all time favorite batting to use now is bamboo I use to buy it at Joann's, but I do not think they are carrying it anymore or at least the two stores that is closest to me.

A couple years ago I received a quilt that was made by a group of ladies I had NEVER met in person, we all know each other online at cafemom quilting group. When I received this quilt I cried, later I was told that they even went so far to find some bamboo batting to use since they knew it was my favorite.

When I make quilts for family or special friends I use the bamboo.

I DO have some non bamboo batting but very little at this time.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned

When I first started quilting I only used poly batting,extra high loft to be exact.
However now I only use the poly batting if/when I make a kids quilt that is going to be drug around.

My all time favorite batting to use now is bamboo I use to buy it at Joann's, but I do not think they are carrying it anymore or at least the two stores that is closest to me.

A couple years ago I received a quilt that was made by a group of ladies I had NEVER met in person, we all know each other online at cafemom quilting group. When I received this quilt I cried, later I was told that they even went so far to find some bamboo batting to use since they knew it was my favorite.

When I make quilts for family or special friends I use the bamboo.

I DO have some non bamboo batting but very little at this time.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 AM

in my opinion
poly is far more durrable than cotton, I like the look of poly... but the cuddle of cotton is sooooooo worth it :D
Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 AM

I prefer bamboo, I am making a queen size quilt for DGS 16th birthday, am hand quilting it in the sashiko style and the needle glides through. bamboo will be my choice in future,
Cheers
Sandy