Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HELP!!!  I have never had a TOY >

HELP!!! I have never had a TOY

HELP!!! I have never had a TOY

Old 07-12-2011, 06:12 AM

We have a 3# little powder puff. She has a 2 1/2 foot ex-pen that she is place in when she is not supervised. She never goes outside. She is potty pad trained. She has learned that her time with us is on the bed and she is not to jump off. There she has all the love and attention. When she can't be on a 1 on 1, she is closed in a room or in her ex-pen. They are extremely fragile. Their x-rays look like fish bones--literally. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:27 AM

Best of luck, having a small one is alot different, but I like smaller ones. Sugarbear was a bit under 3lbs when we got her, she is now at about 10lbs. She is the Queen and has no problem letting everyone know it. But she is a very good little girl, and I absolutely adore this dog. You will to, you will see!! Can't wait to see your post a few months from now!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:33 AM

I haven't had a dachshund, but my friend has a rescue and she had to estabish a routine and firm rules with hers. Good luck with you "toy" :)
Old 07-12-2011, 06:33 AM

Jacquie, a hood ornament? OMG!
I got 7 pounds of hair out of my dog when I groomed him yesterday!
Sounds like you're on the right track, asserting your alpha-ness, but that pooch looks like it has attitude! Good luck and let us all know how it goes.
Sometimes the best answer is finding a different family. It doesn't make you a bad doggy mom if you find a great home for the ones you can't love!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like you are handling the situation very well. I bet in no time at all you will have her as your absolute favorite! She is adorable.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Kooklabell
Is she a nippy one? I have a 7# maltese and he can easily move toward "small dog syndrome" if allowed - thinking he owns the world. He has to be reminded I'm the alpha. I'm not accustomed to having to use my growly voice and mean look LOL Time out in his kennel for a minute each time he got snippy with me or our 40# dog worked well.
NO...not nippy, snippy, etc...BUT she does think she is ALPHA...we got her yesterday and I have actually spent most of today teaching her that "I" am the ALPHA everything in this household....

She does not respond to her name at all...yet I know she knows I am talking to her..doxies tend to ignore you quite well...

she was allowed to bark at you and then expects to JUMP up into your arms...NOT...not only do I not respond to being barked at, I do NOT allow my dogs to jump at anything/anyone/anytime...PERIOD...

She also thinks if it is in the house it must be HER chew toy...again, NOT...so she gets a firm NO, a finger on her nose and a toy put in her mouth and then time in the crate...

We are most terrified of STEPPING on her...
We rescued a small mixed breed who had been abused BAD, He would walk up and bite with-out cause,I'm the alpha here and teaching him this was a chalange.Second day and second bite I did just what any pack leader would do I bit him back.It took two bites about 5 weeks apart for him to except his place in the pack. I have two other dogs(toy poodles) The female is in charge if I'm out of the house.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell
Is she a nippy one? I have a 7# maltese and he can easily move toward "small dog syndrome" if allowed - thinking he owns the world. He has to be reminded I'm the alpha. I'm not accustomed to having to use my growly voice and mean look LOL Time out in his kennel for a minute each time he got snippy with me or our 40# dog worked well.
NO...not nippy, snippy, etc...BUT she does think she is ALPHA...we got her yesterday and I have actually spent most of today teaching her that "I" am the ALPHA everything in this household....

She does not respond to her name at all...yet I know she knows I am talking to her..doxies tend to ignore you quite well...

she was allowed to bark at you and then expects to JUMP up into your arms...NOT...not only do I not respond to being barked at, I do NOT allow my dogs to jump at anything/anyone/anytime...PERIOD...

She also thinks if it is in the house it must be HER chew toy...again, NOT...so she gets a firm NO, a finger on her nose and a toy put in her mouth and then time in the crate...

We are most terrified of STEPPING on her...
We rescued a small mixed breed who had been abused BAD, He would walk up and bite with-out cause,I'm the alpha here and teaching him this was a chalange.Second day and second bite I did just what any pack leader would do I bit him back.It took two bites about 5 weeks apart for him to except his place in the pack. I have two other dogs(toy poodles) The female is in charge if I'm out of the house.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:02 AM

the only thing i really know about those dogs is that they are super hard to house break and some never do get fully house broke, show her your in charge for sure
Old 07-12-2011, 07:50 AM

Sounds like you need to find a new owner. Too frustrating to try to handle a dog like that for me!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by frauhahn
Don't know much about dachshunds, but she is sure a cutey!
I am more of a DOG person..not a TOY person..hehehe

I really wanted to replace our Golden retriever with a yellow lab...sigh..I got hood ornament instead!
:lol: That is too funny. Hood ornament.