Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
LADIES! WARNING!!    hide your purse.... >

LADIES! WARNING!! hide your purse....

LADIES! WARNING!! hide your purse....

Old 07-12-2011, 03:18 PM

Sorry to hear this happened.

Even though you live in a gated community with 24 hour security. It is possible for someone from the "outside" to get in.

It is sad that in today's society this is a frequent occurrence.
My son had his tools stolen off a job site a couple of weeks ago. And there have been a rash of air conditioning thieves in his town. He takes his window unit out before he heads to work everyday.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
We changed home ins. New co told us about the garage door coat hangar trick. We were told to take the rope off so the trick won't work.
Taking the rope off won't stop them, because they simply hook onto the latch.

Here's a video showing how they do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMz1tXBVT1s

Here's a video showing you how you can prevent it with nothing more complicated or expensive than a zip-tie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwd3KRK13Gs&NR=1
Old 07-12-2011, 06:03 PM

Oh no, Kennie! I'm glad that you got (almost) everything back. My car was broken into last fall, they took my husband's gym bag and cell phone, and opened our garage. Don't think they took anything, but it was scary just the same. We now have key chain openers for the garage, but we're still having a hard time remembering to bolt the door into the house from the garage, or setting the alarm at night.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned

I can tell you it was kids...they only want cash...as for the bikes. well, they helped them get down the road faster...did you have a serial# engraved on them under the frame???

I am bad about leaving my purse on the kitchen table..and I too carry way too much cash...yet I hide my laptop in the closet...go figure!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Peckish
We changed home ins. New co told us about the garage door coat hangar trick. We were told to take the rope off so the trick won't work.

Here's a video showing you how you can prevent it with nothing more complicated or expensive than a zip-tie.
yep...youtube has its down falls and teaching wanna be criminals how to become CRIMINALS is one of them!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish

Peckish, Unbelievable! Thanks for sharing the video on how to prevent it.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:08 AM

Wow! You are sooooo lucky that they didn't mean to do you harm! Thats pretty brazen to come into your kitchen while you are sleeping. So sad this happened to you. I know it leaves you with a awful feeling. Like being violated. My parents house got robbed several years ago. And I walked into the house and they were gone and right off I noticed my dads den had been torn up. I had my kids and one was a baby still in car seat at thetime with me. I was shocked cause my mom keeps a very tidy house. So I went on through the house calling for them, nothing, but all the rooms were a disaster area. I called my mom where I thought she might be and said, I think you best get home, the house has been broke into. It made all of us feel very violated. I won't ever forget that feeling.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:59 AM

Years ago a neighbor told me that she always kept her purse in clear view, hoping that a thief would find it and then LEAVE. Don't know if this works, any thoughts??
Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 AM

Our garage is detached from the house. It has been broken into twice. First, all they took was a weed whacker... second time they went through the cars...got nothing as we don't leave any valuables in the cars. Last summer I was sitting here on the computer and there was a hard loud knock on the back door. I rolled over to look out the door window and saw a young hooded man looking at me...he, of course ran off. I did call the police just to alert them to the activity. If they want something they will destroy everything in the house to find it. so sorry for you.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:50 AM

Sounds like kids to me too. We came home from work one day years ago to find the back door open and obvious signs that someone had been going through the house. The only things missing were our jug of dimes (about $200.00 worth) and one of the kids Ninja Turtle movies. We had lots of guns and jewelry that had not been touched. We believe they were there when we got home and made a quick getaway out the back and into the woods.

A few days later, the police found the kids that did it and we got the movie and our jug back. Of course the dimes were gone.

That's really scary that they were in your house while you slept. Hope they catch whoever did it.