Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore? >

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Does anyone do embroidery by hand anymore?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:40 AM

Hi Always quilting,

I am from the Kansas city area. Mentioned you work at a Missouri quilt shop. I love going to other quilt shop, would you mind sharing what quilt shop. I have been to some as far west as Durango, Co. down by 4 corners. And as far east as Stover, Mo. I also have family that lives by the Capital in Mo. I love traveling during the summer and checking out other shops.

Thanks, Cyniree
Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 AM

hi,

I can cross stitch, and embroider, but I don't do them much anymore. I mostly quilt, knit and crochet.
I'm under the impression that knitting and crocheting are in an upswing rather than dieing out.

peel
Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 AM

I'm working on a project that is going to be put into a quilt.An done a baby blanket for my grandson whoturns two montha old in a couple of days.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Celeste
My sister would like to do something with embroidery stitches. Not just back, cross , stem, running or satin stitch stuff.

(All she's been able to find is pillowcases at Michaels. She says "I really have no imagination, I need it spelled out.")

Here's a few names:

Algerian Eye:
Alternating Cross:
Alternating Barred Chain
Arrow stitch see Arrowhead stitch
Arrowhead Stitch:
Arrowhead Stitch Threaded:

She's trying to find something to use them in and color coded too.
She's spent quite some time on the internet, but must not know the right way to find it. :cry:

If anyone can help her we'd be most greatful!
Celeste, I have a book with the first two stitches on your list:

The Embroidery Stitch Bible by Betty Barnden
over 200 stitches photographed with easy-to-follow charts

I love this book. I got it on Amazon.com. I believe I paid around 7 or 8 dollars, before shipping, and it is spiral bound. I am a very visual learner, and i can follow this book with no problem.
I haven't gotten into anything very intricate, mind you.
I did embroidery as a teenager, and a little cross stitch, and am just getting back into both.
I love to look at other ppl's machine embroidery pictures, but I'd rather do my own embroidery. Right now, having so many projects going, I just embellish things, a bit here and there, but I am going to do a crazy quilt for one of the grandbabies, so it will have a lot of embroidery stitches on it.
I don't know how many ppl still do it, but I know it's not dead. One of my girls, crochets and cross stitches, but doesn't like hemming. It's not my favorite thing to do, but I really don't mind it.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:40 PM

Block by Block in Carthage. You shouldn't miss it if you're in the area. We have a lot of out of town business and everyone thinks it is really nice. There is also a web site. www.blockbyblock.net
Old 05-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jerrie
I am doing a redwork quilt inbetween my other project it is pictures of my family i have a program that pencil sketch pictures and i transfer it onto Muslin or what ever you want. the heart is a quilting mortif pattern i found online
Jerrie, your daughter is beautiful and the redwork of her is wonderful. I love it!

Ninnie
Old 05-15-2009, 07:38 PM

I do hand embroidery and very little machine--I do some fancy stitches on my Rose. I am now working on English Paper Piecing as my hand work, but will do embroidery later in the year. I have a needlepoint Christmas sock to do also. I love handwork and love to do redwork.

Nancy
Old 05-16-2009, 05:04 PM

hay always quilting.is it carthage,arkansas
Old 05-17-2009, 03:52 AM

I have enjoyed hand embroidery for years now and actually make good money doing primitive banners. We have a little country shop in our town that contracts my work and I can't keep up with the demand. I broke my thumb in December from the stress of embroidery. Won't do that again. Its taken 5 months to heal but I am starting back now a little at a time.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Banned

I do hand embroidery. My mom taught me when I was young and have loved it sense.