Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Addicted to fabric >

Addicted to fabric

Addicted to fabric

Old 07-14-2011, 08:09 AM

Welcome to the family!!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 AM

lol... my dh tells me I could have my very own fabric shop.. lol... hes sooo cute...
Old 07-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Termi
HI, I'm totally new to quilting and have only finished one wall hanging. I'm blown away by the gorgeous fabrics out there and want to buy them even if I don't have a project in mind for them. I know it's called stash building but I may have gone overboard. Does anyone else have this problem?
Show us you stash and we'll let you know... :)
Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 AM

ABSOLUTELY!!! There's so much fabric in my cupboards that I could make MANY quilts before I run out! Usually I find at least one fabric I want to use, but then I have to buy more to go with that and therein lies the problem. I also have a car that automatically turns into ANY fabric store. Don't look forward to getting over your "addiction" any time soon...
Old 07-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Joyce L
It takes all my will power not to buy more fabric, if I don't need it. I have been trying to use up my stash. My friend on the other hand will buy any thing that she likes. The last time we went shopping for fabric she spent $300.00 on fabric!!!!!! She has more fabric in her house then she will be able to use in her life time.

Joyce L
Have you been in MY quilting friends house too???? Fabric everywhere, I kid you not, and if I said anymore she'd kill me!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 1227Granny
But, do any of you actually "go through your stash" before starting a project or just buy more for a project?
that's just rude to ask such a question granny. :oops: :oops: :XD: :mrgreen:

mea culpa, mea culpa

just yesterday i had free time, so, where do i go? into the nearest lqs, of course. they had half off some beautiful black background with browns. could not leave it on the shelf all alone. bought all there was of all three fabrics (about 10 yards). what shall i make of it i don't know but it is beautiful.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by 1227Granny
But, do any of you actually "go through your stash" before starting a project or just buy more for a project?
Definitely. Since I don't have any fabric stores to speak of, when I want to make a quilt, I pull out all the fabric I have in those colors and decide which to use. I don't have the chance to "go buy more for a special project".

I work exclusively from my stash. I build my stash when I visit the used clothing store or someone visits from the states.

I look at my stash like a pantry. I keep a pantry of items in my kitchen of things I use regularly. I then try to keep it stocked. I do not buy a kilo of sugar of flour each week--I periodically stock up and when I run low, I buy some more. I also do that with chicken, ground beef, etc. Then, I make up my meals from my pantry/kitchen/freezer. Occasionally I will go to the store specifically for one item because I'm in the mood for it, but mostly I decide based on what I have on hand.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
almost EVERYONE on this board suffers from fabric addiction! As long as you have a roof over your head and can feed your children, don't worry about it! However, you should know that the likelihood that you will beat this disease is 0%!!!

And also, Welcome to the board!!!
Amen! Welcome!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 AM

I am still on my first quilt. However, I probably have enough fabric for several more patriotic quilts, several I spy quilts, etc., without even buying any more fabric - except for backing, of course. I am even going to try to make backings another way so I can use up a lot of this fabric.
I would have to buy a bigger house to store all the yarn and thred and fabric that I already have. I love my stash, however, I like having it stored neatly and room to walk around my rooms without high-stepping.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 AM

I pretty much make every quilt I do from my stash.....that is what is so great about stashing...I would not like having to go to the store every time I wanted to start a new project.....and I do all scrappy quilts so don't really need to worry about all the fuss and muss about co-ordinating fabrics, etc.....and I buy most of my fabric on-line from the U.S. as it's about 1/2 the price that we pay here in Canada.
Cheryl