Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a little talking to... >

Need a little talking to...

Need a little talking to...

Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Tear up, break something and then stomp it to smithers, curse it, rage at it, then throw it in the trash. Really! it's like beating up your awful feelings and worries and getting rid of them.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 AM

I invited a friend over to see my last quilt and help me start a new project. Since I already invited her, I can't back out. Might be just the push I need.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 AM

I once belonged to a website called Flylady.com. It is a site for those of us who are organized impaired, those of us who just can't get up the energy to do "that thing" and for those of us who have the perfection devil sitting and watching everything we do. That little devil stops us so often from even getting started cause we have to "do it right", "finish it all in one chunk" or "do it like so-and-so".

She advocates the do it for 15 minute rule. If it's something that needs to be done but your heart (energy, etc) is just not in it (like housework...lol, set a timer for 15 minutes and work the full 15 minutes. When the timer goes off, do something else for awhile. You can return to the "whatever" for another 15 minutes. You can do this as long as needed or until you really are ready to do the "whatever". I know it sounds really weird, but it does work. I use it for housework (I'm disabled and cleaning is a real chore). My mantra is "I can do anything for 15 minutes". Try it and see if it helps you get back in the mood. The first few times, really, stick with the 15 minutes. Then extend your time if you feel like it.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by margie77072
I once belonged to a website called Flylady.com. It is a site for those of us who are organized impaired, those of us who just can't get up the energy to do "that thing" and for those of us who have the perfection devil sitting and watching everything we do. That little devil stops us so often from even getting started cause we have to "do it right", "finish it all in one chunk" or "do it like so-and-so".

She advocates the do it for 15 minute rule. If it's something that needs to be done but your heart (energy, etc) is just not in it (like housework...lol, set a timer for 15 minutes and work the full 15 minutes. When the timer goes off, do something else for awhile. You can return to the "whatever" for another 15 minutes. You can do this as long as needed or until you really are ready to do the "whatever". I know it sounds really weird, but it does work. I use it for housework (I'm disabled and cleaning is a real chore). My mantra is "I can do anything for 15 minutes". Try it and see if it helps you get back in the mood. The first few times, really, stick with the 15 minutes. Then extend your time if you feel like it.
I used to subscribe to Flylady. To this day I still feel better when I clean my kitchen sink!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 PM

I am a former "Fly Lady" follower too. I gleaned from her some really good tips and from time to time when I get bogged down, that 15 minute thing is perfect! And yes, indeed it does work for all the reasons mentioned by Margie 77072.

I have never applied it to quilting because I have the opposite problem. I start quilting and forget to eat, not a true problem, grocery shop, pay bills on time and clean the cat box.

Try the mighty 15 minutes and let us know if it works for you. Be encouraged, we are with you.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Been there, done that. I've had a rough couple of years myself, even with the birth of our first granddaughter, I still couldn't bring myself to do much quilting, although I did finish her baby quilt and curtains for her room. Sometimes I would just look at the projects I had to do and touch the fabric, or just reorganize my "stash". Push came to shove though when I had to make and finish the family reunion quilt for this past July 4th, as well as finish the quilt top my sister and I were to have made together for her first great-granddaughter. Unfortunately, she passed away before we could even start. I would go sew for short periods of time and before I knew it, the quilt top was done and my block started to crumble. You can get through this, I did and I'm much happer quilting than not quilting. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM

For me, I go into my sewing room and decide to pick out the fabric for a project. That is my only goal, to just pick some fabrics that go together. Usually that's all it takes to get me going. LOL
Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by SuziC
I have been experiencing a "slump" these last few weeks. After some awful "family stuff" i have not been able to get into quilting. My DH made my Beautiful sewing room and i need to get my ----back to making baby quilts for the local hospital. Any advise from my experts and friends. I have all the fabric i need and right now i have the time. I just need to clear my head and get back to what i love, but i am blocked. Today is the first day i have been actually looking at all the posts trying to get inspired. How do you move on and back to your old self????
I invite another quilter friend or more to come over and work on a charity project together. That always gets me going.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:48 PM

One seam at a time...the next thing you know...you've made a block...then one block at a time...the next thing you know is you've finished a project. Just be patient, your desire will come back.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:06 PM

Do you have a friend who also quilts? Invite him or her over to work on a project together. Have some snacks and drinks available, and have some fun. Maybe that will help you get a jump start. Good luck!