Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a little talking to... >

Need a little talking to...

Need a little talking to...

Old 07-13-2011, 12:35 PM

I have been experiencing a "slump" these last few weeks. After some awful "family stuff" i have not been able to get into quilting. My DH made my Beautiful sewing room and i need to get my ----back to making baby quilts for the local hospital. Any advise from my experts and friends. I have all the fabric i need and right now i have the time. I just need to clear my head and get back to what i love, but i am blocked. Today is the first day i have been actually looking at all the posts trying to get inspired. How do you move on and back to your old self????
Old 07-13-2011, 12:37 PM

i recently told my gf that after some family issues that the sewing room is where she needs to be to calm down and drive that sewing machine wildly down some fabric concentrating on other things that she loves helps her
Old 07-13-2011, 12:40 PM

Life is short and we need to live everyday to the fullest and I know how you feel been through a lot of awful "family Stuff" the last few years and just have to talk to myself all the time. I am not making any sense I know, so just Do It Girl
Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 PM

Tell yourself you're going to work on something for 30 minutes. Then just start something. After 30 minutes, if you're still not into it, try again tomorrow. But I bet once the 30 minutes are up, you'll keep going! This is how my housecleaning gets done sometimes! :-)
Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM

Make just one seam. Bet that turns into another, then a whole block.... :thumbup:
Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM

go "shopping" in your fabric for a blanket or hit the fabric stores. this usually helps get my sewing desire back.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by kuseta
Tell yourself you're going to work on something for 30 minutes. Then just start something. After 30 minutes, if you're still not into it, try again tomorrow. But I bet once the 30 minutes are up, you'll keep going! This is how my housecleaning gets done sometimes! :-)
My advice also. Couldn't have said it better. I do this all the time. Works most of the time. And start with something that you think will be fun. Don't start with something that you normally dread doing.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 PM

I can certainly understand, I went thru a slump that lasted several years. Sometimes you feel as if the world is crashing all around you. I think what pulled me out of it was wanting to do things for my granddaughters. I had always sewed for my daughter, and decided I wanted to make things for the little ones. Honestly the best thing, is just walk in that sewing room, and pick up the last thing you were working on and decide to finish it.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:51 PM

Eat some chocolate!!! that always helps me....then put on some of your favorite music and "rock out" while you sew!! Do you have a friend you can get together to sew with? If not check to see if any of the LQS have an upcoming class you can go and take. You need some companionship with another quilter to stimulate your creativity. Get out of that slump and we all look forward to seeing some finished projects in the near future!!
Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b
Old 07-13-2011, 12:51 PM

Elenore Burns show is my fix for no motivation. Sometimes it takes a few shows but she gets me over the hurdle.