Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a little talking to... >

Need a little talking to...

Need a little talking to...

Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 PM

Yep just one seam at a time :)
Old 07-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

I had/have some awful family (mine and the in-laws) too and for a spell I could not even think about sewing. Then my DH reminded me how much I enjoy just being in my room. Once I went back in my room, I was soon back to the sewing table. Surround yourself with pretty fabrics and you'll be able to push the reality far away for a time.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:02 PM

I think finding a UFO group or something similar that you can just do your quilt thing around other quilters doing their thing helps. Good luck...been there def. What I did was take my sewing machine to a friends house and we both worked on our own stuff.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:03 PM

I've had times where being in my sewing room was the last place I went. But once I get there and see something I was working on, or picked out to start, I was able to get back into my routine.
Start slowly. Just walk in there and look around. If sewing isn't feeling right, put fabric with a project/pattern for another time. You'll come back. :)
Old 07-13-2011, 01:03 PM

Sometimes I need a break from a particular craft or hobby. Besides quilting/sewing, I also knit, play with beads, embroider, and draw. If I'm just not feeling up to quilting, I've got other things I can work on. When you have to force yourself to do something, it stops being a pleasure and becomes a chore. If you don't have anything else you already do, maybe this is a good time to learn a new skill.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:05 PM

It happens. Sometimes it gets worse when you keep thinking you should do it. Happened to me right after my Dad died, and it happened again after some major personal things.

I did something else - not quilting related. I have a great sewing area, and a lot of fabric, but I just couldn't "get into it" And I found that when I tried to do it, and my heart wasn't into it, nothing went right. So, I did something else, went out for a walk, sat on the QB all day, watched a movie, did something, anything but sewing. And one day, BAM, I wanted to sew again.

It happens.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by kuseta
Tell yourself you're going to work on something for 30 minutes. Then just start something. After 30 minutes, if you're still not into it, try again tomorrow. But I bet once the 30 minutes are up, you'll keep going! This is how my housecleaning gets done sometimes! :-)
Or even ten minutes, if thirty is too long... If you do end up working only ten minutues, (usually you will get into something and sew longer), but you would be amazed how much you can get done in ten minutes.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:26 PM

Start folding & straightening your stash. I love the feel & look of all the beautiful fabrics.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by SuziC
I have been experiencing a "slump" these last few weeks. After some awful "family stuff" i have not been able to get into quilting. My DH made my Beautiful sewing room and i need to get my ----back to making baby quilts for the local hospital. Any advise from my experts and friends. I have all the fabric i need and right now i have the time. I just need to clear my head and get back to what i love, but i am blocked. Today is the first day i have been actually looking at all the posts trying to get inspired. How do you move on and back to your old self????
I don't know what's going on with your family issues and you don't have to explain if you don't want to, but I'm thinking if something went down at your place your creativity might be going "Ugh, I don't want to work in this enviroment. I don't feel inspired. There's some bad aura going around here". You might not get motivated to create quilts sitting at home looking around at the stuff you see everyday, espessily if some drama occured there recently. If that's the case then maybe you just need a change of scenery for the day. I say don't seek out trying to get inspired because with anything artistic you can't get blood out of a turnip. Go out someplace you like and relax. You deserve it! If anything you'll enjoy yourself and come back happy and recharged. And you might find something that might inspire you along the way...once I went to my favorite sushi place just to eat and nothing else and unintentially got inspired by the 2000 paper origami cranes decorating the walls and ceiling.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:43 PM

This sounds like very good advice. Hope you get over your slump soon. We need to see more pics!

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by SuziC
I have been experiencing a "slump" these last few weeks. After some awful "family stuff" i have not been able to get into quilting. My DH made my Beautiful sewing room and i need to get my ----back to making baby quilts for the local hospital. Any advise from my experts and friends. I have all the fabric i need and right now i have the time. I just need to clear my head and get back to what i love, but i am blocked. Today is the first day i have been actually looking at all the posts trying to get inspired. How do you move on and back to your old self????
I don't know what's going on with your family issues and you don't have to explain if you don't want to, but I'm thinking if something went down at your place your creativity might be going "Ugh, I don't want to work in this enviroment. I don't feel inspired. There's some bad aura going around here". You might not get motivated to create quilts sitting at home looking around at the stuff you see everyday, espessily if some drama occured there recently. If that's the case then maybe you just need a change of scenery for the day. I say don't seek out trying to get inspired because with anything artistic you can't get blood out of a turnip. Go out someplace you like and relax. You deserve it! If anything you'll enjoy yourself and come back happy and recharged. And you might find something that might inspire you along the way...once I went to my favorite sushi place just to eat and nothing else and unintentially got inspired by the 2000 paper origami cranes decorating the walls and ceiling.