Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dear Jane >

dear Jane

dear Jane

Old 07-16-2011, 09:21 AM

That is a beautiful quilt and I love the story. That is so awesome that someone found it waaaay away from Vermont and sent it to a museum there.
The quilt is very much out of my league at present. I don't even think of ever doing anything like that. I can enjoy looking at it and thinking about how patient and meticulous Jane (and all you fabulous & experienced quilters on this board) were/are to make this quilt.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:28 AM

beautiful just beautiful, that's it, I am going to make one even if it will take me years!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:34 AM

I just recently began a dear Jane quilt top. I have done 19 blocks so far. Here is a link to mine:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-134067-2.htm
Old 07-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by rosiewell
Has anyone done a "dear Jane" quilt? I have seen some quilts and it looks like a lot of work, I do love applique but notoriously I start quilts and never finish them, so I am hesitant to spend $$ for the pattern book (to date I have 38 UFOs!! LOL)
38 ufo's...get back in that sewing room and don't come out til your finished !!!!! wouldn't that be nice being sent to your sewing room
Old 07-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Problem is Dotti every time I go to my sewing room, I take out all my UFOs, look at them, then I put them away because:" oh this is an awful pattern, color, block etc, what was I thinking?" and then I start a new project......
Old 07-16-2011, 11:55 AM

[quote=thebooklady27]I also had the patterns forever, I had purchased a notebook full of printed patterns, plus the softwear and the book from a lady that had given up on it. Everytime I looked at those teeny templates I freaked out and put it all away again. Then I noticed while playing with the software one day that many of the patterns could be printed out for paper piecing.... and that changed everything for me. So I designed a semi-Dear Jane with squares on point and used a pattern for the border that I had seen on Linda Franz's version of the DJ. There are 211 four and a half inch squares in my quilt, plus side triangles. I used every DJ pattern that I could in either paper piecing or machine applique and filled in with other paper piecing patterns from here and there. The quilt is about 8 ft square and will be put away as a wedding quilt for my baby grandson. :) So...perhaps if you don't make yourself be locked into replicating the DJ quilt exactly it would be more fun for you to try. You could also make a smaller quilt, make the blocks bigger....just about anything you want. I hope you will try it out, I can truthfully say I had a ball doing the blocks and putting them together in the block by block method allowed me to machine quilt each block intricately and that was fun too. Good luck! ]

this is an absolutely stunning quilt! bravo

:-D :-D
Old 07-16-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by thebooklady27
I also had the patterns forever, I had purchased a notebook full of printed patterns, plus the softwear and the book from a lady that had given up on it. Everytime I looked at those teeny templates I freaked out and put it all away again. Then I noticed while playing with the software one day that many of the patterns could be printed out for paper piecing.... and that changed everything for me. So I designed a semi-Dear Jane with squares on point and used a pattern for the border that I had seen on Linda Franz's version of the DJ. There are 211 four and a half inch squares in my quilt, plus side triangles. I used every DJ pattern that I could in either paper piecing or machine applique and filled in with other paper piecing patterns from here and there. The quilt is about 8 ft square and will be put away as a wedding quilt for my baby grandson. :) So...perhaps if you don't make yourself be locked into replicating the DJ quilt exactly it would be more fun for you to try. You could also make a smaller quilt, make the blocks bigger....just about anything you want. I hope you will try it out, I can truthfully say I had a ball doing the blocks and putting them together in the block by block method allowed me to machine quilt each block intricately and that was fun too. Good luck!

Has anyone done a "dear Jane" quilt? I have seen some quilts and it looks like a lot of work, I do love applique but notoriously I start quilts and never finish them, so I am hesitant to spend $$ for the pattern book (to date I have 38 UFOs!! LOL)
Your quilt is beautiful! Another proof that thinking outside the box is a GREAT idea. I like the setting triangles and your 2 borders - the scallops are beautiful!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:48 PM

I signed up for a block of the month that sent enough fabric to do several square blocks and 2 triangles a month. It lasted for 24 months. I got about 5 months done before going on to something else. The shipments kept coming. Last year after being in the hospital for 3 weeks, I needed a project as a form of mental health therapy, so started on it again. Some days I only did one or two blocks. Some days I did a lot more. I finally got the top put together. I've got the backing but just never get to pin basting the quilt together so I can start quilting it. I will hand quilt this one.

I'm thinking of doing a rainbow jane, or maybe not.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:51 PM

Problem is Dotti every time I go to my sewing room, I take out all my UFOs, look at them, then I put them away because:" oh this is an awful pattern, color, block etc, what was I thinking?" and then I start a new project......
well how about this one mans trash is another mans treasure...why not post them and see if anybody wants to trade, buy or just finish them for u.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:18 PM

Native Texan is so right, the blocks take time. I just purchased a book of Aunt Jane quilts, A Baker's Dozen, by Sandy Klop and I am ready to tackle at least one right after the candlequilter star block is finished. That is the one UFO that will not take a back seat.