Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Parchment paper >

Parchment paper

Parchment paper

Old 07-16-2011, 06:20 PM

For paper piecing I just print on regular copy paper, works just fine. Actually I print one, line up 2-3 blank sheets underneath and cut them all at once.

Originally Posted by Prism99
I don't think parchment paper would work well in an inkjet printer. The ink would just smear, since the parchment paper is designed not to hold on to stuff. Same might apply to laser printers, but I'm not as sure about that.

Usually people use freezer paper, typing paper or vellum (tracing paper) through printers for patterns. People also send fabric through printers, for direct printing on the fabric (usually, I think, fused to freezer paper for stability).

I haven't done any of these things. Just been wanting to! So, I could be wrong.....
Old 07-16-2011, 09:26 PM

I think you are talking about protecting your iron and ironing board from the stick of fusible. It's good to know parchment paper will work. If you do buy a sheet of the teflon you just keep reusing it. So even if it seems expensive you use it forever.

I think Holice is talking about FMQ. I bought a silicone oven liner for that, it was much less than the super sliders sold at quilt sites. It's available at hardware stores like Jerry's. I haven't used it yet. Hubby made me an extension table covered with vinyl which is very slippery.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:30 AM

I learn so much here!!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by icon17
Ok now that you all have got me interested! What do you do with the Parchment paper? 8-)
You use it with fusibles to protect your iron and board. Fusibles don't stick to it. So, it can be used instead of the more expensive fusible applique sheets you can buy for the same purpose. Parchment paper is actually better with some fusibles because it doesn't cause the fabric to become shiny (I assume from fusible bleed-thru).
I have never used parchment paper. Does it have a shiny side like freezer paper? If it does, is this the side you iron on? I have learned so much for you guys! Thanks.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by union lady
I have never used parchment paper. Does it have a shiny side like freezer paper? If it does, is this the side you iron on?
No, it is matte on both sides. If you have ever used fusible web that comes by the yard or on a roll, the paper behind the fusible web is basically parchment.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Originally Posted by union lady
I have never used parchment paper. Does it have a shiny side like freezer paper? If it does, is this the side you iron on?
No, it is matte on both sides. If you have ever used fusible web that comes by the yard or on a roll, the paper behind the fusible web is basically parchment.
Thank you for the info.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:20 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

ooh, I hadn't tried it for free-motion ~ I'll have to try that next time I misplace my slippydoodle thingy
Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 AM

Heehee... my sewing room is IN the kitchen/dining room!
Originally Posted by Doreen
My sewing room is beginning to look like a kitchen, parchment paper, baggies, bag clips, round plates and such.