Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color, Hue and scale >

Color, Hue and scale

Color, Hue and scale

Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

When I make a scrappy quilt, I don't pay much attention to anything other than value. I use batiks and prints and solids and mix them all together. Many of the fabrics clash with each other, and often clashing fabrics are right beside each other. However, there are probably at least 100 fabrics in each quilt, each one is only 1" wide, and I think they all play well together. I never seem to have enough light fabrics, so a medium fabric may get mixed in where the lights should be. The same medium may get mixed in with the darks in another block. So I'm probably breaking all your rules - but I like to use up my scraps. I wouldn't buy all these fabrics for the purpose of putting them together, but hey, scrappy is scrappy! If your friend's quilts really look bad, she just isn't cutting the fabrics into small enough pieces. ;-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-227984.jpe
Views:	174
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	227990  
Old 07-17-2011, 06:10 PM

Like others my first thought was possible color blindness. We had one female customer who was color blind, very unusual for a woman. But she saw value - grays, blacks & white. She had to trust other to pick her colors for her.

Has she asked for help? Has she commented on the appearance of some quilts? Perhaps wholecloth quilts or monochromatic quilts.
Value: You can make a black & white copy of fabrics and study how light/dark they are. I sometimes scan them and change the jpg to grayscale.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl
to make a successful quilt- especially a scrap one all you have to do is work with VALUES lights-mediums and darks-
color, hue and scale have nothing to do with a successful quilt except varying scale adds movement.
lots of very well known quilt designers work completely in 'grayscale' while designing so that color/scale does not interfer.
if your friend can sort her fabrics into lights mediums and darks she can make wonderful beautiful quilts. i've made wonderful log cabin quilts people love that have some pretty bizzare fabrics in them if you look at a specific fabric you may be surprised- but when you stand back and look they work very well.
some people (see) colors differently- instead of trying to teach her to see colors the way you do maybe you could help her learn to balance the values.
when i'm going to work on a new bargello quilt i choose my fabrics- lay them out with a couple inches of each showing in the order i think they will go in then i take a picture- load it on the computer and print it off in gray scale- it makes it easy to immediately see if something is out of place or does not look right.
Great comments! Love the gray scale idea!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:34 PM

I want to learn more about how colors work together. So I got what I think is a great book on color for quilters and have started working my way through it. I invited another quilter and an artist friend to join me on the journey. We each have different ideas of color and what we like working with so it is a challenge to let each of us grow in the direction we are bent. Maybe you and your friend could enjoy a similar journey.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

Does she really like the fabric she has? Where did she get it (purchased, given)? Maybe like someone said she just didn't cut it small enough. How does she feel when the quilts are finished? I have gone shopping with friends that when I looked at their picks I thought "What was she thinking". But then maybe they are thinking the same thing about my picks. Good Luck. BrendaK
Old 07-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

Maybe she's just overly frugal?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Paint chips. Oh, and on the selvages of most fabric is a coordinating dots section. If she uses these, she will eventaully be able to tell on her own.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by qbquilts
I recommend a book called "Color Magic for Quilters" by Ann Seely & Joyce Stewart. It very thoroughly explains the color wheel and the various color harmonies that work well together. It also talks about scale. ISBN: 0875969852. Here's an Amazon link to the book (for reference purposes only) - http://www.amazon.com/Color-Magic-Qu...0952798&sr=8-1
I have one I can sell cheaper than that.
You might also want to suggest a Ruby Beholder or even the color/value finders. They are red and green...I prefer these to the Ruby beholder!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:39 PM

I think she is just committed to using these pieces up because she likes them individually and they are LQS quality. She buys nice fabric when she buys it. I think somebody is right she needs to do like a 1" log cabin instead of a 2 in log or a 2 1/2 in bargello

The salvage and quilting magazine/home dec magazine is great. I happen to have hundreds of quilting magazines that a friend gave to me to take to the guild. I am going to pick a few and she what she likes and why.

No she knows they dont look quite right but she doesnt know what is wrong. Right now, even though we have been friends for 15 years we have just started quilting together the past six or eight months so she is working on things already partially done.

This is the first time we have put a colorway for a quilt together from scratch and she did see how I did it versus how she did it. She just picks fabrics she likes and then tries to pull colors out but something is getting lost in translation. In the last quilt she was doing at my house was a nine patch, she put a large scale bubble gum pink with bright green print next to a burgundy marble, the opposite square was a 80's medium blue calico combined with bright purple solid. I thought my eyes were going to bleed. I must have looked funny when she held it up because she said Im not good at this am I and can you help me save this? I said no you are not and no I cannot but I will help you learn to pick.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
I recommend a book called "Color Magic for Quilters" by Ann Seely & Joyce Stewart. It very thoroughly explains the color wheel and the various color harmonies that work well together. It also talks about scale. ISBN: 0875969852. Here's an Amazon link to the book (for reference purposes only) - http://www.amazon.com/Color-Magic-Qu...0952798&sr=8-1
This is what I was going to suggest. Great book. Also, ck was right on about value. If your friend has the ability to take a pic of her fabrics, have her look at them in gray scale and then sort her fabric accordingly. Color is a tricky thing.