Racoons in the Corn! Help!

Old 07-18-2011, 03:16 AM

I always plant enough for creatures to have their share. Guess what surprised me most was how much turtles like tomatoes
Old 07-18-2011, 04:16 AM

Electric fence for our garden. The trouble began a few weeks ago with rabbits eating the little plants. So it was out with the fencer and fence. We have 3 rounds, one a couple inches off the ground for baby rabbits, one a little higher, and one about a foot off the ground. So far, it has helped. We didn't have a beet to can last year as they ate the leaves off both ends of the row. Then when the beets started to form, they ate them. There wasn't enough left to even cook a mess. I did get to can 10 pints this year, plus have some to eat along on. Did you know that beet leaves make good "greens." I haven't tried them, but the judge at our local fair last week said they were good. I may have to try them next year. My husband has just gone out to the garden to weedeat under the fence, as the grass makes the wire ground out and not do its job.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Alice Woodhull
Electric fence for our garden. The trouble began a few weeks ago with rabbits eating the little plants. So it was out with the fencer and fence. We have 3 rounds, one a couple inches off the ground for baby rabbits, one a little higher, and one about a foot off the ground. So far, it has helped. We didn't have a beet to can last year as they ate the leaves off both ends of the row. Then when the beets started to form, they ate them. There wasn't enough left to even cook a mess. I did get to can 10 pints this year, plus have some to eat along on. Did you know that beet leaves make good "greens." I haven't tried them, but the judge at our local fair last week said they were good. I may have to try them next year. My husband has just gone out to the garden to weedeat under the fence, as the grass makes the wire ground out and not do its job.
I always prized the beet green every bit as much as the beets themselves. Funny thing, my oldest son to this day loves the greens, but won't touch a beet.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:20 AM

Try - next year - planting someinthing viney with the corn. My brother discovered this one year when he had bindweed in the corn crop and the 'coons left those corn plants alone.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 AM

This has always worked for me. When you first notice the racoon bothering the corn. Take newspaper and lay it all around and scattered throughout the field. I think the rustle of the papers scare the racoon away, and we were able to get our corn without their taking it. Hope it works for you. I always started saving my newspapers for the time I needed them.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 AM

We noticed yesterday that the racoons have been in our corn and its not ready to pull. But have no soultion to keep them out.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:27 AM

Hello, don't know if you live in the country or in a city limits but we always put an electric wire around our sweet corn patch and the coons will not bother it. Guess one good electric shock is enough because they do not come back. We put it about 4 inches off the ground and it keeps all varmints out, even our dog. Ruth Nees [email protected]
Old 07-18-2011, 06:38 AM

I play a radio station that plays loud , LOUD music. It works for me.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 AM

shotgun....works great!! I know this may seem cruel, but if you've ever seen the damage that a coon can do to a flock of chickens, they are no longer cute, furry animals but predators...and need to be gone from my farm. And they can carry rabies. Look around for their nest and do the dirty work....just my opinion....

Shotgun...works every time
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
shotgun....works great!! I know this may seem cruel, but if you've ever seen the damage that a coon can do to a flock of chickens, they are no longer cute, furry animals but predators...and need to be gone from my farm. And they can carry rabies. Look around for their nest and do the dirty work....just my opinion....

Shotgun...works every time
If you do this you will have to make sure you have a varmit liscence in SD anyway.. might be different in each state. but you would need to check before you kill any wild animal. The GFP loves to fine people for even protecting their own crops, and the corpse would need to be disposed of according to the rules of the state.