Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone bind their quilt by bringing the backing material to the front? >

Does anyone bind their quilt by bringing the backing material to the front?

Does anyone bind their quilt by bringing the backing material to the front?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 AM

Wow, this is a cool idea. I'm just learning about quilting and it's soooo amazing..Everytime I open the quilt board and start reading you posts...I learn so many new ideas, hints, tricks, it's just amazing. Just when I think I have enough to start a quilt...someone else comes up with a better and easier idea....I'll never get my first machine patches started...lolololololol. I've been with the same great man for 31 years, I learn a pretty stoic lifestyle but I honestly think.......Quilting could be my drug....it's so addicting. All I want to do is work on my projects. I went to work the other night and all night all I could think about is what I was going to do the next day and how I could play my next projects, supplies I need, being fabric.....Oh NO, I've got it bad, lololol.....Do I need help or what?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 AM

i do it on quick qiults but not on the quilts that i want to be treasured
Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Vat

No, never! ! ! I really love doing bindings.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 AM

I only did this once - it didn't look too bad however, I didn't think it looked as finished off as it does when you fold it to the back.

To me, the backside I feel gets seen infrequently, where one hopes any mistakes they have made will rear their ugly little heads - instead of on the front for all the world to see - LOL :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy Ingham
Some thirty years plus ago when I took a quilting class we were taught to bring the backing material to the front when binding our quilts. Does anyone do that anymore or does everyone simply use a separate binding, either single or double fold? ;)
I'm using fleece on the backs of my veteran memoryt quilts. I've cut it so there is enough to use in the front for binding
Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 PM

I do this most of the time. J J
Old 07-19-2011, 01:08 PM

How do you complete it when you fold over the backing? Top stitch on the machine? Do it by hand?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:13 PM

I do bindings on quilts like this occasionally. I use it all the time on tablerunners, table toppers and wall hangings. I use the method that one of the ladies described. Cut twice as wide as you want the binding to be. Fold the edge in half, so the raw edge of the backing can tuck behind the edge of the quilt and batting. Then fold the folded edge of the backing over the front of the quilt and machine or hand stitch down. The corners do take a little practice to get nice looking miters. When I am trying something like this, I make a few pot holders using scrap fabric. That way you get to practice the technique and making the corners look nice on a small project and know just how it works before you tackle your quilt. I can always use a few more pot holders... or give them away with wedding shower gift.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:18 PM

I do anytime my backing coordinates with the front.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:23 PM

I do.