Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color, Hue and scale >

Color, Hue and scale

Color, Hue and scale

Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by JuanitaBean
I use the 3-1 color tool by Joen Wolform. Helps me a lot
I, too, use this tool. And, I was going to suggest two books by Joen Wolfrom. I do have a good sense of color but these two books have been of great value to me.

1. http://www.amazon.com/Color-Play-Ste...1090247&sr=8-1

2. Right under # 1 on Amazon is: Visual Coloring: A Foolproof Approach to Color-Rich Quilts by Joen Wolfrom

I go to these books over and over - I hesitated about spending so much money on books but these are an investment I've never regretted.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:37 AM

Just as the old saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I know I have very personal strong ideas of what I think is attractive but may not appeal to others. I have seen some quilts that don't appeal to my tastes and have won awards. So perhaps you two will have to agree to disagree on color and enjoy each others friendship. If you offer a suggestion and she receives it, great, but if not, it is her quilt.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 AM

now I know what people mean when they say someone is a quilt snob. Truely let the woman do what she wants to do. As long as she is enjoying herself doing it thats all that matters. Maybe the problem isn't her willingness to try anything combo but your thinking only in terms of color cordination. My mother was a quilt snob and it has taken me many years to tell myself it doesn't all have to match.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 AM

I am not here to be a quilt snob or tell her that she is wrong. I am trying to help my friend learn to make a better, more appreciated project. I just wanted some tools to work with from the people on the board and I thank those who piped up with ideas.

I cant blame the people that dont use or display her work. They are not visually appealing and even if the quilting is nice, you arent going to treasure some gift a colleague gave your baby if it is the colors I described. Your sister or mother may appreciate it but "it's the thought that counts only" resonates so far.

She puts alot of heart and soul into these things and I want her to receive the recognition and satisfaction you get when you know a gift or project is appreciated by those around you. If she was happy with her efforts, she would not ask for help. She knows this isnt her strength and she is willing to help me learn to FMQ.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I think some people just have a knack for some things -

and others - try as hard as they can - just don't seem to be able to "get it"

I think it "just is" - and one learns to live with it and to compensate where and when one can.

Do you think your friend would welcome/accept someone else (you) picking out the fabrics for a project and then let her go with the rest of it?

From what you've said, she seems to be technically proficient with cutting, assembly, etc.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:31 PM

Color for Quilters is a excellent book to use for self taught understanding of color. I just completed the center of the quilt design that is on the cover of the book. I just fell in love with the imaginative use of Kaffe Fassett's stripes in that pattern and others in the book. This has been an excellent place for me to start forcing my brain to accept the information on color. You can understand intellectually but it is a different thing to work thru it physically. The thing is I do not expect anyone who does not work with color and design to understand my choices! They don't as they have not traveled thru art classes, sewing classes and given their hearts to color along with me. We are on different tracks..
Old 07-19-2011, 03:06 PM
MCH

Providing your friend is color blind, you could try this.

Look outside at all the colors, hues, values, and "blends" in the yard, the garden, a park, a beach, the woods. Mother Nature may not make quilts but she sure has the "color thing" nailed.

I'm sitting her at work looking out the window at trees which display at least a half dozen shades of green...against sand color buildings and t deep blue sky. Put those colors in a quilt and you'd have a real beauty.

I liked the idea of using paint chips. And where do you find those? In a paint store, hardware store, or big-box home improvement store. If any of those have a nursery / landscaping area, go look at all the flowers and colors arrayed on the tables.

If you're in the LQS, remember to take your selections to a window or place where there's natural light. Most LQS have those miserable fluorescent lights which have a "blue" cast to them.

It's summer!! Go look at the colors outside. In the winter, the colors are just as gorgeous...but with a different "value".

Mother Nature has the key to understanding color.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:11 PM

Good for you for being willing to help your friend develop her talents. My mother also had no idea what colors looked well together. She made many, many quilts over the years that were absolutely awful to look at. Her quilting skills were sometimes overlooked just because her choice of fabrics was so terrible.

One good thing is that your friend realizes that she needs a little help in this area. My mom never thought there was anything wrong with any of her quilts and she could not understand why people did not display them prominently in their homes.

Is your friend able to afford new fabric? If so, is she willing to purchase fabric and not just use what she has on hand? My mom was raised during the depression and thought it was wasteful to spend money on new fabric when she had "perfectly good" fabric at home--even though her fabric was woefully dated or just plain ugly.

You've gotten lots of great ideas from other posters, and I hope you're able to help your friend.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

This has been such a thoughtful discussion on both the artistic principles and the personal principles of our craft. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:50 PM

If she sees color differently than others...
And some of us do!
Give her a color wheel and teach her to use ONLY the colors on HALF of it at a time!
This will give her harmony automatically.