Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
carpet vs. wood floor in your sewing room >

carpet vs. wood floor in your sewing room

carpet vs. wood floor in your sewing room

Old 07-21-2011, 12:33 PM

Anything but carpet!!
I just thew away the plastic mat (the kind that you use for rollling chairs on carpet) It was shredded, managed to find many pins buried in the nap of the carpet....found one the old fashioned way..buried in my foot.
Found an opened box of snap together laminate flooring, bought those to replace the plastic mat..down the road I will replace that carpet.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:58 PM

Joan, I agree with you on the tile and wood floor but hubby wanted carpet as it is warmer in the winter. Yes, it is off white also.
But I do have half a basement to use for sewing, with tv, and couch to relax etc. One thing I noticed as we were putting things back today, a lot less of everything and so far nothing piled up. Today and this weekend will be the sort out of patterns and magazines that I have not used in who knows so long. Also binders. So one way or the other neat and over for the upstairs. Now, downstairs is another story....hmmm, well, if I don't get there a often, well, then someone else can clean it.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Babs194068
I have a real wood floor as opposed to a laminate floor. My chairs are really making a mess of my floor. I agree they are easier to clean I run a swifter every day to keep it sort of dust free.
They have replacement hard rubber castors for your rolling desk chairs. Works really well on hardwood or laminate flooring.

I also took out the carpet in my sewing room and put in laminate flooring. I just love it, works so much better for me.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:22 PM

I have had carpet before, and I didn't like that pins and needles can get stuck in the nap, and hide. It seems that my DH would be the one to find them- when he walked in!
I now have wood floors everywhere in my house. I like the ease of cleaning with a vacuum or broom or mop. I use the magnet on a stick to get the pins and needles if needed, but they tend to be easier to spot on the wood floor.
But of course, it is a personal choice.:)
Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 PM

wood or laminate, I was so against pulling up the carpet But I love it now. I can drop thread on the floor and sweep it up when I am done for the day, so much easier than carpet. It is a little colder in the winter.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:01 PM

CORK! Cleans beautifully, is quiet, and is cushioned so when you have to stand for any length of time your hips, legs, and back don't start hurting. If I could I would put it in the whole house. We had a house that we had tiled once. It was very nice to clean and cool in the summer but it was murder on the body when you had to work in the kitchen or sewing room. Cork is not as cold under foot and is water proof and doesn't mold. You can usually find it pretty reasonably at places like Lumber Liquidators and we self installed. Ann in TN
Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 PM

I'm with Nancy in MN we removed the carpet and put in laminate and I realized I di need a rug when I am doing alot of cutting under my feet... relieves the stress in my lets... and shoulders..
Old 07-21-2011, 03:59 PM

I used to have carpet all through my house. We now have wood floors throughout. I would never have carpet again, especially in my sewing room. I always drop pins on the floor and on the wood floor I can see them. On carpet sometimes I did not know I had dropped one and it never failed that my hubby would step on it and get it stuck in his foot. Hasn't happened since the wood floor.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:21 PM

I had a choice of whatever I wanted in my sewing room which is in the basement and I chose carpet. It is softer on the feet and legs and warmer in the winter. I think it is easier to maintain.

I had a lot of hardwood floor put in when we built the house 5 years ago and I now know why it went out in the 70's. It is a lot of work to keep it looking nice. Just dusting doesn't cut it. The main pathways have to be cleaned and the wet swiffer type cloths don't do a good enough job. I tried the old type of cotton string mops but that left it streaked. It requires hands and knees scrubbing at least once a month. There is only my husband and myself and a small non-shedding Havanese in our house.

We also have ceramic tile in the kitchen and baths. I made the mistake of light grout - next house darker grout. Sealing grout does not necessarily stop stains. Again another periodic hands and knees scrubbing.

I don't know about laminate-never had it.

I am not a neat freak but want to keep our house looking nice and I am tired and sore from the hands and knees cleaning (just finished doing it).
Old 07-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I took out the carpet and put down wood. Best decision I ever made. I can't believe how many dust bunnies fabric and batting produce!