Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How old is your oldest UFO? >

How old is your oldest UFO?

How old is your oldest UFO?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 AM

I needed a lesson for an extension club one day so I had everyone bring a UFO. People said they quit working on them because they were tired of them, they didn't like them anymore etc. After showing them to each other and getting excited about them again, another member suggested a meeting 3 months later to show the finished projects. They all turned out beautiful and some were given as gifts.
Aneokle
Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 AM

My mother decided it was time for me to get into quilting and make friendship blocks out of my childhood dresses, her dresses from the 50's and 60's and a few new fabrics. I married into a very large family and it was to be a "family" quilt instead of friendship quilt. Several of the women in the family embroidered their names on their blocks, some of them signed them and I embroidered them, and two of my six grandchildren have blocks that I did after they were born. That was in 1985!! I didn't get interested in quilting until 2000. The top is pieced and ready for batting and backing. I hope to get to it the first of next year when it will be cool enough to have it lay on my lap. Three of the family members with blocks have since passed away so this is very precious to me. I have to think of a way to include blocks for my four additional grandchildren in the backing.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Ramona - these sound like a great memory quilt. I do hope you finish them!

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
In some strong Flylady de-cluttering, I discovered a bunch of squares that I'd made when my baby was about 5 or 6 years old. The little darling more or less designed them himself..there were several embroidered squares with his favorites on them. One was a huge, 5 inch Monarch butterfly like the one he and his dad had caught, one was his darling Doberman Kurt, one was his black and white cat Warlock, one was his tennis racquet. (he was good even then at Tennis) and one was a Boy Scout emblem (he went on to be an Eagle Scout), plus other things he loved at that age.

This past May he was 43 years old. I've really got to get this done one of these days. Maybe for this Christmas.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 AM

My oldest is about 11 years old -- it is a quilt for my son. It is living proof that you should 1) never change machines in the middle of making a quilt because the size of the 1/4" changes, 2) make sure you buy enough yardage for finish the quilt (it is queen size and most of the key fabrics came from FQs that I scrounged from a half dozen quilt shops), 3) if you stop work on the quilt, package all the unused fabric together so you don't accidentally "borrow" some of the fabric for another quilt.

I am hoping everyone is healthy this winter so I can work on it -- I have to re-do all the sashing strips and setting squares since those are the fabrics that took a walk.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 AM

I have a quilt that I started about 18 years ago. It was the first thing I ever tried to sew and got frustrated and stopped. I didn't even know about a 1/4" seam or anything. I just wanted to make a quilt because my mom and grandmother made quilts. The material I used was my grandmothers that was given to me when my grandmother passed away. I was just telling my mom about it and decided that I need to finish it.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:06 AM

My oldest UFO is 21 years old. It is a Cathedral Window quilt. I started it when I had a surgery in 1990 so I could sit and quilt. Maybe I will finish it someday!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:18 AM

well I am finally working on it but it doesn't mean I will finish it. it is a xmas quilt from 1995
Old 07-22-2011, 09:21 AM

OK, its about 24yr.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:26 AM

30 years its a cathedral window. My mothers was 67 years old and I finished hers(she started it in 1938 I finished it in 2005 .
Old 07-22-2011, 09:42 AM

I think my oldest is about 24 years old maybe and I have quilt blocks (just square blocks) that are at least 22 years old that have never been sewn together. Oh my gosh - I guess I best get busy again.