redneck air conditioner

Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Another wonderful idea I have learned this week! Earlier this week, I was talking to a friend and we were talking about caring for our yards. Of course, I have a yard guy & sprinkler system with irrigation on every tree (which is necessary in NV) and my planters are irriagted. Well She doesn't so she manually water her yard everyday. Yes, her yard looks better than mine! But her idea on irrigation was amazing (just like yours is to me). She taked old (soda) liter bottles and she freezes them in her freezer every night. In the am, she placed each one next to her roses, other brushes and planters as the ice in the bottle melts, it waters her plants!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Landers
Another wonderful idea I have learned this week! Earlier this week, I was talking to a friend and we were talking about caring for our yards. Of course, I have a yard guy & sprinkler system with irrigation on every tree (which is necessary in NV) and my planters are irriagted. Well She doesn't so she manually water her yard everyday. Yes, her yard looks better than mine! But her idea on irrigation was amazing (just like yours is to me). She taked old (soda) liter bottles and she freezes them in her freezer every night. In the am, she placed each one next to her roses, other brushes and planters as the ice in the bottle melts, it waters her plants!
that is an awesome idea! just wish I had more room in my freezer!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by seahorsesanna
just had to share this tip I found online last night it has been so dang hot here and we have no air conditioner so I looked up how to make my own. All you need to do is fill a larger milk jug or similar with water and freeze it then sit it in front of your fan. I was sceptical at first but I actually have goosebumps on my legs right now with it blowing on my feet! The house is so much cooler I might even cook tonight ~ hmmm better not push it!! :XD:
Goodness yes, no need to get all carried away over a few goosebumps. LOLOL
Old 07-23-2011, 10:49 AM

I don't want to brag, but it is in the 60's here with a cool breeze. It felt soo good to open the windows and get some nice fresh air in the house. It poured this morning, more flash flood warnings, but a nice cold front keeping the temps in the 60's today. The heat index has been in the high 90's and 100's for the past week. We aren't used to that kind of heat up here.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:31 AM

It seems my house is holding the heat very well. We had to go out and purchase another window air conditioner (thats 3 now) since our wired in smoke/heat detectors kept going off. Should have had your idea sooner - would've been cheaper all the way around.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:34 PM

We used to hang a wet towel over a box fan. It worked too. Although I would say here in Texas our temps aren't that far off from normal in July. It is the heart of summer. It's gonna be HOT. in 1980 I was living in Houston. It got up to 114 F.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Swap Hosts

Great idea. We have the a/c running since DH starts dripping with sweat if it's over 45 degrees. He loves a fan blowing on him.
When the power goes out, however, we drape a wet towel over the window. You actually get cool as the water evaporates.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:34 PM

I'm in St. Louis area too and it was 121 in my car on Thursday. That's crazy!!!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
I live in Houston and the only time I love the humidity is when I come home from the desert, like Las Vegas. And for you Phoenixites or Phoenixians (or whatever they call people who live there), it doesn't help us to hear "yes, but it's a DRY heat". Hot is hot!
Yep, I live in Las Vegas and let me tell you, when the temp gets above 75, this old lizard stays indoors under A/C. Have a/c in the car and only go out when absolutely necessary!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

The humidity this summer has been horrible and the A/C is a must. Glad you found something that works.