fleas

Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 AM

Fleas were bad last year. Best advice I received about pups and fleas was, whatever you are using as shampoo, lather well and then wrap the little fellow in a towel and hold for five minutes or more to kill the fleas. This was more effective than a quicker bath.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:09 AM

This is what I use: It is good for dogs, horses & people too!

Flea & Tick Bug Repellant Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cup Avon Skin So Soft (Original Oil)
2 cups white vinegar
1-3 cups water
1 Tablespoon Eucalyptus or Citronella oil (available at most health food stores).

Mix and Apply: Combine Ingredients and put in trigger spray bottle.
Shake well before each use.
*Spray a light mist over your dog - a little goes a long way.
Avoid nose and eyes

The weaker mixture (3 cups of water) works with flies and mosquitoes. The strongest mix (1 cup of water) is for when your dog is in tick-infested areas. However, it is not guaranteed to prevent ticks. Be sure you take other precautions, and check your dog thoroughly when you get home.

* I prefer to spray the mixture into my hands, and then rub it to the entire coat of my puppy.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:07 PM

I have to hide the frontline behind my back or my kitty runs and hides-Too funny
Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 PM

When I treat my cats and the dogs (2 dogs, 5 cats -cats are nuetered and spayed) I have to do it quickly or they hide! Even the big dogs run fast! LOL
Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lindsey
My dog throws up from frontline also. Plus when you bath him he can't be treated for two or three days after having a bath. I just purchased the line that Wal Mart carries. Its cheaper so they say we shall see if it works.
We have a terrible problem with fleas here too. I have a greyhound and some products can be fatal to them. I've tried Frontline, Advantage, and the new Wal-Mart one but none of them seem to work. I'm going to try the Dawn and see if it helps. Lizzie won't be too happy about getting a bath but hopefully she will be more comfortable.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
Originally Posted by Lindsey
My dog throws up from frontline also. Plus when you bath him he can't be treated for two or three days after having a bath. I just purchased the line that Wal Mart carries. Its cheaper so they say we shall see if it works.
We have a terrible problem with fleas here too. I have a greyhound and some products can be fatal to them. I've tried Frontline, Advantage, and the new Wal-Mart one but none of them seem to work. I'm going to try the Dawn and see if it helps. Lizzie won't be too happy about getting a bath but hopefully she will be more comfortable.
Use the Simple Greent to bathe and then try the adams (applies just like Frontline); I think my daughter got it from walmarts also; it is working on our Akita and I'm getting ready to get it for my american eskimo. They also make a dip; I know that I can get it at Care a lot pet supplies. You can get 7 dust from home depot and it helps outside. For my carpets and furniture and even the dogs (I don't use it on cats) raid has a flea spray in a purple can that works really well. It even says to use it on the animals. Also; putting garlic in thier food helps with skin and fleas don't like it. I guess that's why when one jumps on me it never bites; I eat alot of garlic.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:42 PM

If you get some brewers yeast ( I purchase the large bags at Sam's Club they are 1 lb. bags ).
What you do is depending on the size of the animal.
Our dog is 18 lbs. so every day I put 1/2 teaspoon in ice cream for her to eat.
The cat I put 1 pinch in her food each day. It keeps fleas off of them. Fleas don't like the smell of the animal.
But you have to make sure you have the fleas out of the bedding and you carpets and house. This work great and we have not had a fleas on our 3 animals in 4 years.
This is much cheaper then frontline and the animals will not be mad at you .

Good luck