Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How old is your oldest UFO? >

How old is your oldest UFO?

How old is your oldest UFO?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM

I have a quilt top that my mother made in 1966. I hope to get it done this summer.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:46 AM

Don't know if I answered this before ----- but I'll bet it's wrong if I did -- my oldest UFO was found the other day - forgot I had them....I started a quilt 40 yrs ago..............yip -- I was married only 2 yrs and started it -- never finished. The fact that I FOUND it is the miracle! And the colors are the orange/yellow of the early 70s.....I KNOW I'm not going to finish it. :mrgreen:
Old 07-23-2011, 11:52 AM
jme

Mine is bout 9yrs old, a denim lap quilt with a back pocket on every block.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Uh, the oldest UFO I have that I started is a lone star from the seventies--it's waiting for binding.

I own an India ink-signed four block section of what I believe would have been a Baltimore Bride's top.

Another UFO that is in my possession is a crazy quilt top my grandmother began--looks like 1930-40 print material.

Two more quilt tops I found in PA. I think they were put together from shirt factory cuttings. The factory opened in about 1926 but one top looks very 1930-40.

A variety of old patches from who knows when that I plan to put into one top.

Oh, I forgot my sister's baby quilt with darling pink embroidered pictures that unfortunately was quilted with wide spaces by sewing machine and when washed, it went into cotton lumps. I have picked out all the quilting and have the blocks stacked. I just can't decide how to set it. BTW she was born in 1956. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 07-23-2011, 05:23 PM

I have quilt squares that I was hand embroidering that my Mom gave me when I had been married 2 years. I will be married 46 years in August. I had 6 out of 12 squares finished. Think they might be rotten by now? I really do need to drag them out and finish.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:02 AM

I have at least one or 2 of those Vogue children's books that have zippers and buttons and buckles that is more than 30 years old. Guess I should finish them, huh???!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kallen
I think my oldest is about 10 years old, maybe 11. It is for one of my daughters. The other three children got their quilts, but I never liked what Erin chose and it has been hard to finish. She doesn't let me forget that I still need to finish it, though-LOL. One of these days I'm gonna get it done and surprise her. In the meantime, I think I will give her one of my Christmas quilts that I finished this year as a UFO with my quilt guild. She deserves it for waiting patiently for so long. She's coming to visit next month (from Michigan) with her youngest of five little children. Wish she or I could afford to fly the whole family here. :cry:
Get the UFO out, together with whatever needed to finish it and work on it together. Even if you don't complete it during her visit you will make a memory.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:14 AM
Banned

sometime in the 70s and it'll probably never get done; many more from the 80s and 90s - an hoping some of them will get done
Old 07-24-2011, 08:00 AM

Because I have only been seriously quilting for six years, mine would have to be six years. However, my mother embroidered our son's leftover toddler blue jeans squares in hopes I would make a quilt one day. He is now 40 and I still have those squares. My sister takes the family cake with an unfinished high school grad quilt for her son; he just turned 50.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 PM

I started an embroidery piece when I was 10 years old while recovering from a serious childhood illness. Nice piece but I was too sickly to force myself to finish. Then along came the teen years, college, motherhood, single parenting, new jobs, and a home to distract me from finishing the piece.

I rediscover the piece every few years and think about finishing it. (I would finely make my mother proud. She picked it out.) I always have something else more interesting to do, like quilting.

Now, down to the real answer, it is nearly 52 years since I started it.