Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are you making for Christmas gifts >

What are you making for Christmas gifts

What are you making for Christmas gifts

Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 AM

I'm thinking I will do table runners that are NOT Christmas. I gave Christmas ones one year to match the placemats I gave the year before, so maybe table runners to match sisters and brother's houses.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by janedee
What alot of lovely ideas - think I am going to go with a simple shopping bag and then fill them with some homemade jams and preserves and bought goodies will try and do 2 a month - have six to do so its not a mad rush nearer the time!!!!
This has been a very refreshing group of posts to read and I see the spirit of personalizing gifts for various family members with simple and practical items. And threaded thru all of these ideas is the love for our families. Through out the years when we were raising our children, it seemed that we were just bombarded with a ton of wish list for a lot of expensive toys, games, clothing, etc. I am so ready for some simple, inexpensive items to give along with relaxing fun time to spend with family. Good food, kids playing a rousing game of monopoly, adults having conversations about times in their lives when they were kids, etc. Some of the men engaged in a competitive card game and all the laughter and me not too tired to enjoy all of it!!!!!!!! And by the way, home made jams and jellies are a wonderful gift. My family loves the apple jelly that I've made in years gone by. Right at the end of the "boiling" time, I throw in Red Hots. This makes a beautiful red color and the taste of the cinnamon "kicks it up a bite".
Old 07-24-2011, 01:24 PM

I am making lap quilts for my daughters and their husbands in the colors they EACH like; three grandkids are getting bed quilts and completely unrelated pillowcases; hubby is finally going to get his Civil War repro lap quilt and a small wall hanging for his workshop. I am also making quilt block clocks for several friends - using Lyyn Koolish's book, "Fast, Fun & Easy Creative Fabric Clocks."
Old 07-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
I am making lap quilts for my daughters and their husbands in the colors they EACH like; three grandkids are getting bed quilts and completely unrelated pillowcases; hubby is finally going to get his Civil War repro lap quilt and a small wall hanging for his workshop. I am also making quilt block clocks for several friends - using Lyyn Koolish's book, "Fast, Fun & Easy Creative Fabric Clocks."
I am also making up a few dozen pot holders to blast the stash further; those that aren't basket stuffers are secret sister gifts or for the potholder swap at one of my guilds. [Basket Stuffer: my husband makes & pressure cans his signature spaghetti and I make my bread and butter pickles sauce for the girls and their families, and I always have something soft to put between the jars to cushion them against damage.]
Old 07-24-2011, 03:01 PM

I am desparetly working to finish 12X12 little wall quilts based on Peice O Cake whiimsical blocks with a rabbit added to the flowers and birds for my DH's family reunion next week in VT. I have 8 SIL's. The rabbit is because of the last name Haas.
But I did not anticipate what a big job!
Old 07-24-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by pennylynne
I made hanging trash bags for the car last year and they were a huge success. All are being used and each person loved the fabrics I picked for them specifically.
Neat idea. Do you have a link for the pattern or was it your own design?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Does anyone out there have any ideas for a quilted
Advent Calendar?? something simple..but like a quilt..
with 25 pockets??
Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 AM

I would also suggest fabric memory games for young children. I got the idea from http://fishsticksandfries.com/blog/?p=302 and made two sets last year - one for my DS and one for a friend's. I fussy-cut a bunch of juvenile prints for the images, used an old flannel sheet for the "batting," and used a mottled flannel for the backing. Then I used the same mottled flannel to make a drawstring bag for storage. Even though we already have a regular Memory game, this one has gotten TONS of use. In addition to being a memory game, it's been used to make "sandwiches," as confetti - you name it. My DH has commented that it's one of the most versatile toys I've made for our kids.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 AM

I remember making the RED HOT Jelly with my grandma and mother . I may need to whip that up for christmas ! Thanks for the ide and memory!
Originally Posted by nana2
Originally Posted by janedee
What alot of lovely ideas - think I am going to go with a simple shopping bag and then fill them with some homemade jams and preserves and bought goodies will try and do 2 a month - have six to do so its not a mad rush nearer the time!!!!
This has been a very refreshing group of posts to read and I see the spirit of personalizing gifts for various family members with simple and practical items. And threaded thru all of these ideas is the love for our families. Through out the years when we were raising our children, it seemed that we were just bombarded with a ton of wish list for a lot of expensive toys, games, clothing, etc. I am so ready for some simple, inexpensive items to give along with relaxing fun time to spend with family. Good food, kids playing a rousing game of monopoly, adults having conversations about times in their lives when they were kids, etc. Some of the men engaged in a competitive card game and all the laughter and me not too tired to enjoy all of it!!!!!!!! And by the way, home made jams and jellies are a wonderful gift. My family loves the apple jelly that I've made in years gone by. Right at the end of the "boiling" time, I throw in Red Hots. This makes a beautiful red color and the taste of the cinnamon "kicks it up a bite".
Old 07-26-2011, 12:18 PM

Tree skirts for the "marrieds" - my kids that have moved away from home with their spouse. And school storage items (wall pockets, tote bags, etc.) for my college daughter - she will be student teaching in the Spring and is very much a hands on type teacher. Will need to tote and keep handy all kinds of stuff.