Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of quilts do you like to make? >

What kind of quilts do you like to make?

What kind of quilts do you like to make?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
To me, quilting is not about the design as it is in creating something that is new to me, pleasing to me, or something I see that I know someone would just love. Magazines often rehash the same blocks because in a different color pattern they look like something all together new.

I quilt because I am under tremendous stress at work, work in a horribly stressful place, and several of my family members have been diagnosed or have died in the last couple months of some sort of cancer.

So quilting for me is not about reinventing the wheel, but learning that the wheels that you designers make are pretty great methods of relaxing and escaping stress for a couple hours each night.
In your case quilting is your safe place. Sorry for the stress.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:05 AM

Love the angel in your name tag. Is that design available in a pattern? I can envision it as an Advent/Christmas Banner at church.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:06 AM

I do design my own quilts, but the magazines give me ideas to begin the process. I have never made a quilt straight from a pattern. They are always the wrong size, I don't like the colors or the borders. But I love to look at patterns and books and magazines for ideas.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:20 AM

Maybe a lot of people are like me. I love to sew, love fabric
but am scared to try stuff that looks too difficult. I have only made one quilt. A cathedral window, king size, every stitch by hand. Twenty two years later, I am working on a nine patch. I can't get it right. Seams don't match. It is scary to even thing about something more complicated.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:21 AM

I enjoy pieced patterns verses applique. Don't get me wrong, I love appliqued quilts - but appliquing is not my thing. If I'm going to hand sew, I will Cross Stitch. Since the web has so many free patterns, I am not renewing any quilt magazines when they come due (unless they are dirt cheap). (LOL)
Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 AM

I'm a scrappy/patchwork kinda of Mississippi gal
Old 07-26-2011, 06:28 AM

I've been making quilts & quilted things for nearly 50 years, & I love simple, basic patterns, and scrap quilts.

I've been making some version of Cathedral Windows quilts for the last 10 years, and am not tired of that pattern.

The business aspect of the quilt world as it has become by now would not fare too well on (non)consumers like me. ;-)
Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 AM

Hi Moquilter,

That design is called Lexa's Angel. It is one I designed to raise funds for my friend, who's 7 yr old daughter, Lexa, was killed by a drunk driver just before Christmas last year. I blogged about it here: http://larkspurlanedesigns.blogspot....l-is-born.html

I give that one away for a donation to the Cleland Family Fund. Send me an email if you're interested in making a donation!

Sue

Originally Posted by moquilter
Love the angel in your name tag. Is that design available in a pattern? I can envision it as an Advent/Christmas Banner at church.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:40 AM

Oops! Forgot to give email address: [email protected] or PM me if you'd like!
Originally Posted by larkspurlanedesigns
Hi Moquilter,

That design is called Lexa's Angel. It is one I designed to raise funds for my friend, who's 7 yr old daughter, Lexa, was killed by a drunk driver just before Christmas last year. I blogged about it here: http://larkspurlanedesigns.blogspot....l-is-born.html

I give that one away for a donation to the Cleland Family Fund. Send me an email if you're interested in making a donation!

Sue

Originally Posted by moquilter
Old 07-26-2011, 06:46 AM

I like simple patterns best. But after I make one I'll take that pattern and do my own thing with it. I've made a couple of "gosh awful - uglies" but there is always that one person that falls in love with it. That makes for a great feeling.