Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Wall >

Design Wall

Design Wall

Old 07-28-2011, 04:52 AM

I used a fold up cardboard cutting board as well. (It was one that I had from when I started sewing back in the 70's!) I covered mine with some grey flannel that I had. To hang it on the wall I put some 3-M hooks on the wall and clipped binder clips to the board. For a larger quilt you could put two of these side by side.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:54 AM

I did this and it works great... found the largest tablecloth and put it up... I have an unfinished wall so was able to staple it ...
Originally Posted by ontheriver
Several people have said they use flannel like the back of a picnic table cloth. Do a search on here, you will find many ideas.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 AM

I purchased a ready-made design wall from a quilt shop (Grubers in St. Cloud, MN). It has several grommets at the top. I just put up little hooks, hung it up and went to work using it. I can take it down if I need the wall for something else.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:15 AM

I love my design wall and it takes up no space at all.
I went to Joanns and bought flannel backed tablecloth fabric. Went to the hardware store and bought firring strips (long strip of wood 2 inches wide which I painted with some spray faux stone paint i had leftover. DH screwd the wood into the wall, the tablecloth fuzzy side out was behind the wood strip. Into the strip he then nailed some long nails that sticck out. This is where I keep my rulers and scissors, rotary cutters, patterns, hoops etc. So it works as a pegboard kind of too.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:25 AM

I do much as Polly V9. I use a foam insulation panel covered with white flannel. I love it and use it daily. When my sewing room loses some furniture, I want to add a second panel so I can do larger work. Aging backs and knees don't like crawling on the floor but these panels can be simple leaned against the wall and are very, very light weight.

We had this conversation at my guild meeting this week. Many of the members use a plastic table cloth that has a flannel back. Lay out the pattern and then it can be rolled up for storage or travel to a quilt work day.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:42 AM

I don't have a design wall,but there are so many nice ideas on here.I like the window shade one.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 AM

Hi, I love this idea, as I don't have a good place to make a design wall. Could you send me a picture of it? I'm cherylmae
on this site. Thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 06:23 AM

My husband made one out of plywood that is 4x6 .it has flannel on the front and is higed in the middle so it can be folded up out of the way when notin use. I wish it could have been wider. Ceiling in that room is too low to make it much longer. For small projects I use a folding piece of card board made for science projects very inexpensive Diane
Old 07-28-2011, 06:25 AM

Did the roll-up shade, and yes, over a closet which housed my washer and dryer. It got in the way of laundry. Now different house, different state, and I have one of Fons and Porters design walls. Not big enough and yes, hangs over my bi-fold doors behind which are my washer and dryer. I also have to pin everything on it. So my suggestion is, the bigger the better and use something that the squares stick to, if you can find it.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:32 AM

I had a queen/king size piece of Warm & Natural that my husband nailed to a 2 X 4, then nailed it to the wall in the basement in my sewing center. I only have to use pins when I use denim, otherwise the cotton blocks stay up perfectly. If you could do something along those lines and make a "roman shade" type of pulley to it, would that work with the doors?