Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Wall >

Design Wall

Design Wall

Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 AM

I used yardage of polar fleece. the length of the yardage was my width, the width of the fabric was my length (60"). I rolled slats the size of a yeardstick over the top of the fabric and DH screwed it into the studs. At the bottom, use two widths of the slats and roll to the back and staple. The bottom slats give it body and strength so it doesn't flap around. the extra slat at the bottom gives an angle to the fabric as it hangs, so your blocks won't need as much pinning to stay on. the fleece like flannel hold the fabrics well.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 AM

Now that I have "studio," I bought fleece and thin lathing. I sewed 2 lengths of fleece together and long enough to go from the ceiling to the baseboards. I stapled the fleece to the lathing all around and then nailed the lathing to the drywall. It is still up after 10 years and is larger than any quilt I may make. I do have to move 2 small tables when I actually put blocks up, but that is not every day. I have really enjoyed it. Hope you find some advice here that you can use for yourself. Happy quilting!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Mine was made from some red cordaroy (sp??), as a stable backing. Then I bought some neutral flannel. I used 2 fabric widths for this.
Then put loops on top and found metal hooks that secure to the framing for drop ceiling tile. Works greak for me. good luck.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 AM

The window shade sounds great unless you want a large design wall. I bought 2 yards of white fleece and just thumb tacked it at the top of the wall - works great and quite economical too.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 AM

I suggest you use flannel or batting. Fabric will stick to either one. Make it as big as possible!!!
Originally Posted by crazylady54
I am looking to add a design wall to my craft room and have no idea what to do. How big should it be? What should it be made of? I am thinking a curtain rod with a king size white sheet. My husband is thinking a window shade that can be rolled up and down as needed. This wall will be over the byfold closet doors. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:51 AM

I used the reverse side of a tablecloth, some 3M hooks, and some curtain rings. Put the hooks on the wall over the bifold doors, folded down the necessary amount of the tablecloth and clipped the curtain rings to it, then put the rings over hooks. Completely removable and very useful.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 PM

I used a patio dorr size, roll up blind and hot glued flannel on it. I can roll it up if I need to, even with the quilt pieces on it. They stick by themselves unless I have sewn the row together, then I just stick a couple of pins to help hold it.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 PM

one day a piece of that insulating styrofoam board flew into our yard and we didn't know where it come from. It was about 4 ft, by 5ft . I covered it with some felt I had and it made a light weight design wall that I can move around easily. didn't cost me a thing. I guess God knew I needed it. Lol.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
Several people have said they use flannel like the back of a picnic table cloth. Do a search on here, you will find many ideas.
I agree!!!!!! Do a search. This topic has been posted before and there were many good ideas!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:46 PM

Bought two sheets of 1/2" insulation board at Home Depot. My son nailed them to the wall right through the back side of a flannel backed tablecloth--after cutting out a hole for the electric outlet. Not beautiful but I surely am happy with it. Filled the entire wall.