Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing quilt patterns >

Organizing quilt patterns

Organizing quilt patterns

Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 AM

I know a lot of people cut out the patterns that they want to keep and put them in a binder and plastic sleeves. I or the other hand, hate to cut my magazines up. I have cereal boxes full of magazines and I can't bear to cut them up. Every so often, I get them out and go through them. Each time I do, it seems that I always find something new to interest me that I didn't see before. I love my mags and just cant bear to cut them apart.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 AM

I scan anything I want to keep and save them on my computer. Problem is finding them again.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 AM

I am terribly disorganized, if I tear them out, so I keep mine in magazine form, mark them with a flag, and organize in magazine organizers that I buy at Walmart. Probably will have to find additional room, though. The magazine organizers are taking over my sewing room
Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM

I had sewing magazines as well as quilting magazines and decided my life would not be long enough to get all of those "marked" future projects dpne, so I went through them one last time and kept only the ones I REALLY thought I would get to do. I brought the rest to the public library for their annual sale. They were thrilled. The librarian told me that women flock to those magazines and can't get enough.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:44 AM

I would like to find the things ( don't what they are called) you open the magazine in half and slide it through the slit and then it can be put in a three ring binder( name of it anyone :0). I am expecting 15 walmart bags of books/mags I bought to be delivered in a week and I'm sure I will want to keep 1 or 2 of them :).
Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by mommy and pebbles
I would like to find the things ( don't what they are called) you open the magazine in half and slide it through the slit and then it can be put in a three ring binder( name of it anyone :0). I am expecting 15 walmart bags of books/mags I bought to be delivered in a week and I'm sure I will want to keep 1 or 2 of them :).
I have ordered them from Clotilde before. I've forgotten the name, but they're really nice. I had organized all of my collection of Sew Beautiful with those.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:29 AM

I scan mine and put them on a flash drive as well as the computer. I now have so many that I am going to put a copy of the finished quilt in one file ... and then the whole copy and directions in another file. Will separate them in to [1] pieced, [2] curved seams, [3] paper pieced, and [4] applique. This way I can use the 'slide show' function to go through the quilts to decide what I might want to do next.

With scanning there is no paper of binders to store. In some parts of the country that translates to less silverfish and bugs.

I do keep my books as books. Just am getting more selective now.

It is the math and accounting background as well as the healthcare background that has left me this way ... somewhat OCD.

ali
Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 AM

<Hello, I go through the books and jot down the pictures I like and the book name and page and date of book, then I made an excell spreadsheet logging in all the information. >

Delta...Can't imagine why I haven't thought of that. I have everything else on excel spreadsheets. What a wonderful idea!!

We Waco Quilters come up with some good ones every so often!!

diane
Old 07-29-2011, 10:56 AM

Large binders from Wal Mart. Decide what labels you want on them and file accordingly. I did Childrens, then pieced and applique then Other -- Tablerunners etc.

works great for me !
Happy organizing !
Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 AM

also I take the patterns out of the books and only keep what I need.