Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WASHING BEFORE GIFTING >

WASHING BEFORE GIFTING

WASHING BEFORE GIFTING

Old 07-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

it is your project- do what you want- if you don't want to wash it first maybe you could include a note saying- if it falls apart with laundering please call....
just an FYI---Most charitable foundations who accept quilts require they be washed before sending them in...they do not want any chemicals (like starch or sizing) oils from our hands-soil from our homes on the quilts- they expect them to be ready to give- and do not have the facility's to wash everyone themselves.
Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Needless to say I will be washing from now on. Do you think I should wash the raffle ones or leave them new looking? The ladies buying are church members so I could include name/telephone to repair any issue when washed or should I just wash then raffle?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:54 AM

Thanks for opening my eyes to the other side of the coin. I do wash the fabrics and soak battings but rarely wash the finished quilt.
On another thought, I have made a quilt for our first grandchild and told my daughter that I haven't washed the quilt.
1)I am flying with it and only doing carry on so I want it flat not fluffy.
2) She can wash it in the deterget that she uses for the baby.
3) I will be there if there is any oopsies....hoping not. :wink:
piney
Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

As you csn see in picture #2 if you try and take her quilt she gets in your face all mad.
love that pic
Old 07-29-2011, 11:06 AM

Ya' know I never thought about washing before gifting. I always give the color catcher sheets with the quilts because I only ever thought that the colors may bleed and I would hate for it to ruin something.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:24 AM

I wash before gifting -they always need de-furred -plus snippets of thread etc.. But washing softens the quilt and they feel so much nicer once they are unwrapped. They are instantly snuggy
Old 07-29-2011, 11:31 AM

I always wash before giving. Too much fur and threads. I had one male friend who was gifting a baby quilt to his female pal tell me not to wash it. He was afraid of the laundry soap and rashes it might cause. I explained I would rather wash out all of the sizing and chemicals from the fabric and use a mild detergent instead. He thought about it for a few minutes, then decided to let me do it my way.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Looks conmfy.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:37 PM

I will say I had a crazy curves one I dreaded washing cause sewing all those curves was hard for me. I wanted it to look new as long as possible. The one day I forgot to put back in sewing room where cat is not allowed and she laid on it so I washed it. I really liked the look washed. However since then Itty Bitty has claimed it as her own. She's my 18 year old munchkin cat. She gets what she wants. As you csn see in picture #2 if you try and take her quilt she gets in your face all mad.
loved the second picture...pets are so funny :roll:
Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM

I wash, and if I want to keep it looking "new" like for a raffle, I iron the quilt. That doesn't take out all the wrinkles, but help it to continue looking new. Plus, those who wan that wrinkled, soft look get a little of that too.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM

I try to wash mine altho I have hardly made enough to have given very many away. But with Toby, my kitty always there helping out, I want the cat hair off before I give away. I do love your kitty protecting her quilt. She is not evil- just wants her blankie!