Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sick of cutting and sewing 2" squares, what was I thinking >

sick of cutting and sewing 2" squares, what was I thinking

sick of cutting and sewing 2" squares, what was I thinking

Old 08-04-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
If your fabric is in strips, why not strip piece them. That's how i do mine. Do you know how to do this method? I made a steps to the alter which is veery similar with thousands of small pieces and strip pieceing is really quick compared to individual squares.
peace

http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wor...lock-tutorial/
sure wish I had known/thought about that before I tried to do mine. finally gave up and gave the (seemed like a thousand pieces at the time) to a friends mothers quilt guild.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

Maybe time to put it aside. Why do it if you do not enjoy it?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jmabby
I've never made a postage stamp quilt, but can't you cut 2 1/2 inch strips, sew them together and cut them in 2 1/2 inch squares, sew the strips together??
I think they wanted each square to be of a different fabric.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 AM

I'm making a Court House Steps quilt using 1 & 1/4" strips that sew up to 3/4" strips and 8" blocks. I know what you mean, but it is so pretty. Are you sewing the strips together and then cutting into 2" strips?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:08 AM

I am working on a "something" between other piecing with 2"cut squares. But I am doing the cutting of all my "scraps" with a die cutter (much faster), and doing the sewing by putting the cuts into a basket, and using as leaders and enders with other projects - as per Bonnie Hunter-first sew two together, throw them into another basket...down the road they will be sewed into 4sies, then on and on...but I am not in a race with anyone to see who finishes first...just a way to use scraps....may take awhile, but time is not my enemy, so far anyway....
Old 08-04-2011, 04:11 AM

Why the deadline? This is a big job.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:15 AM

This is primarily the type of quilt I make. It is a very big job but the results are spectacular. I am in the process of making three scrap quilts that all take 2 inch squares. I have thousands to cut. I too don't like two of the same fabrics together and therefore strip peicing is not an option. Hang in there. your quilt will make you think "it really was all worth it"
Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
Oh gosh! I am thinking about starting Oh Fransson's Tokyo Subway quilt. 1,600 2 inch squares. I'm getting a little scared.

Your postage stamp quilt is going to be beautiful. I hope that you will post it when you're done. Any chance you might post some progress pics?
Thank you for this quilt pattern. Just looked it up and love it! My son's DGF is an engineer and I would love to make this quilt for her.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 AM

Yikes, I guess I was doing it all wrong! (I know there is no wrong.) I made a postage stamp but did it by the strip method. I had so many scraps of so many colors that it was easy. No one has yet to find any pattern in my strips and piecing of them together.

Are postage stamp quilts supposed to have no repeats of fabric? If so, too bad I was in the mood to clear the stash of those pesky little scraps and I got rid of many but still have soooooo many more to go.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by sweetpea
Originally Posted by intoquilting
I let a friend talk me into doing a postage stamp quilt using 2" squares. I don't think I will live long enough to finish it. LOL but I need to because I am determined to finish before she does. I am really tired of cutting 2" squares and trying to sew them together without having any 2 of the same fabric. What was I thinking??????? I am putting 16 of them together into a block. Will I ever finish? It remains to be seen.
This is what I'm think about the 6" pp pineapple blocks I'm working now WHAT WAS I THINKING.
I, recently, saw the PP Pineapple at a Quilt Show. She did it in Civil War fabrics. It was breathtaking!! I'm sure yours will be as well.